You know you're an FCP GEEK when...

Posted by JustinB 
You know you're an FCP GEEK when...
November 03, 2005 11:12PM
...you just can't wait for your copy of Apple Pro Training Series: Optimizing Your Final Cut Pro System to arrive. Sad but true.

- Justin Barham -
Re: You know you're an FCP GEEK when...
November 03, 2005 11:16PM
Definition of geek:

You sit there whistling and working while the other editors scramble to figure out why their system's in meltdown, why they can't find their files, and why the tape outputs suck.
November 03, 2005 11:24PM
Haha nice one.

Just FYI, I'm not down on geeks. I am teh serious FCP geek, for better or worse. I already ordered my copy of the book, which has patiently waited on my Amazon wishlist for months. At the same time, I completely understand why most people couldn't care less about this stuff.

- Justin Barham -
November 04, 2005 12:04AM
....you want to spend a whole weekend in Kevin Monahan's FCP Master's Seminar on FX and advanced workflow!

I need more geeks! MORE GEEKS! C'mon guys, where are those signups? - you only have a week left!

Are you only a wannabe FCP Geek? Then become a full fledged one by taking my class!

Save $20 by entering in the code: lafcpug

Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Take My FCP Master's Seminar Next Weekend!

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
how many news, annoncements, updates, improvements, new product, since the book last day of writing ? obsolete the day after. and still weeks (if not months) ahead until it is delivered to you

Web web web
Re: for that matter even "the concept" of a book is DEAD
November 04, 2005 04:34AM
I don't agree Francois,
When it comes to FCP FX and workflow, not a whole lot has changed since FCP 1.0! So your argument that my ideas in my book or in this seminar might be "out of date" is terribly moot.

I would say that no one, and I mean NO ONE has taken my ideas to such an advanced level in any book or website. For example, how would you cycle composite modes or compare modes faster than my technique of mapping modes to keyboard shortcuts? Who has entertained this technique before I have? Answer: No one!

Have you read my book? Those that have can attest to the fact that the content of my book is not in the normal realm of regular training. Do you fully understand the "Limit Effects" function of the Color Corrector? Do you use the
Speed Tool and know exactly what is happening?

I firmly believe that I take understanding FCP FX to a higher level. I would love for you to take my course. I'm sure I could teach you "stuff" you have not even considered before.

The web is good, but not this good! If you really want to learn, you have to take lessons from those in the know. I know this, because I've taken training from the best in the biz myself.

Invest in yourself, get advanced training....

My 2 pence, anyway.

Cheers,
Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Last call for my Master's Seminar in LA!

Post Edited (11-04-05 02:39)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
no no Kevin I wasn't writing anything about your books and certainly NOT about your seminar either (I would't have done that)

just writing about the book : <Apple Pro Training Series: Optimizing Your Final Cut Pro System>

it's the idea of settings up and optimizing a system based on months old informations that bothers me, even if I fully respect the author's work as I respect your's

a exemple: today's debate about new line of mac and PCIe ... (can I buy a card now or wait, what card, etc ...)
if you don't have THAT information from yesterday
[focus.ti.com]
you don't have the full picture

nothing related to you in my post

November 04, 2005 08:41AM
I think learning from a book is *never* as good as learning from a person.

A live expert can tell you *when* to use an effect, a command, etc., and show you in real time. And organize the learning curve into an easily accessible process.

I'm sure that even though Kevin's book contains his skills and tips, it'd be a lot better to learn directly from him.
November 04, 2005 09:15AM
Oh, and Kevin, what's the schedule like for the Nov. 12-13 seminar weekend, if it's not already booked? I'm very tempted, but I'd like to know what the time and location are and I couldn't find it on the link. Seven A.M., ya know.
November 04, 2005 10:26AM
You know you're a geek when you have $5,000 in the bank and you are negotiating a deal for a new Quad G5 set-up instead of replacing your vehicle with 230,000 miles on it.

- Joey

OT - my 2¢: All due respect...the ad pushing on this forum is quite offensive - jeez (IMHO). There should be an "Gear & Services 4 Sale" forum for the salesmen & their warez (IMHO).

Post Edited (11-04-05 09:33)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Rocco
November 04, 2005 12:18PM
YES! Agree with the car analogy.

You know you're a geek when you have $5,000 in the bank and you are negotiating a deal for a new Quad G5 set-up <B>and when you go to pick it up you'll put it into a car worth 1/3 of the price!</B> Can't wait...!
November 04, 2005 12:30PM
Kevin,

I couldn't find info about the start/end time for your seminar.
Can you provide that info for planning purposes?
November 04, 2005 01:38PM
You know you've been editing to long when you enter the time into the microwave and stop to think if it should be in drop frame or non-drop.
November 04, 2005 02:59PM
Dennis and Derek,
I'm going from 9AM to 6PM next Sat. and Sun. in Burbank.

Here's the link:
[www.regonline.com]

Cheers Fellas,
Kevin
November 04, 2005 09:34PM
Good stuff. The stuff about cars. I sometimes find myself amazed at what people will spend on a car. These same people can't fathom why I would spend so much money on a video projector.

"I think learning from a book is *never* as good as learning from a person."

Naturally. But for some reason I actually prefer to learn by reading about it first, then practicing, and then getting pointers from a live person. But I seem to be in the minority there.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics