Audio Configurations HELP

Posted by MikeLA 
Audio Configurations HELP
November 09, 2005 05:25PM
Hello All,

I am a new FCP user working on a project where it was specified what my audio output channels look like. Is FCP limited to 2 channel output only as i believe it is?

If this is the case and I need to output as follows:

Master 1 - CH1 narration and dialog, CH2 Nat. sounds/sound FX

Master 2 - CH1 Music stereo left, CH2 music stereo right

My question is in conforming to the above, does that mean that my narration/dialog is only mono, and is output on the left channel, and my sounds and sound FX are mono and on the right channel in master one?

To provide a master one and 2, do i simply output master one with the music channel muted? and vice veersa?

Lastly , am i correct that FCP outputs only 2 channels?

Anonymous User
Re: Audio Configurations HELP
November 10, 2005 12:06PM
Depends on what your mastering format is.

If your master format has 4 channels, you can make a 4 channel master. It'll just take 2 passes.

If it's a DVCam master... I'm really not sure what good a master without music is...unless it's going for an audio mix and this is the source for the audio mixer.

What's the "purpose" of this master?

Anonymous User
November 10, 2005 12:12PM
Oh, sorry, I just read that again.

Yes. 2 masters.

Master 1 has tracks 1&2.

Master 2 has tracks 3&4.

Make 2 copies of your finished timeline.

On the first copy, delete everything on tracks 3&4. Make a master with video and tracks 1&2 on channels 1&2.

On the second copy of the timeline, do the reverse for the second master. Delete tracks 1&2. If you want, you can move 3&4 to 1&2 if it makes things work out in your brain easier. Just be careful not to pop it out of sync. Make a master with video and tracks 3&4 on channels 1&2.

Make sense?

November 10, 2005 12:18PM
Thanks DEb, I have a requirement for a 4 channel master, so with FCP then that means doing 2 masters i assume?

If the requirements for 2 masters then are to output as follows, can you tell me how you would set up your audio tracks in FCP to accomodate this?

Master 1 - CH1 narration and dialog, CH2 Nat. sounds/sound FX
Master 2 - CH1 Music stereo left, CH2 music stereo right

Given that the narration.dialog has a left/right channel, would one layout the audio tracks one way to edit a sequence and then re-arrange it to meet requirements for outputting masters later.

thanks for any insight...!

ps the purpose of this master is for the network to have an achiveable copy .

November 10, 2005 12:42PM
Deb, thanks much, i get it now thanks to your explanation. So I gather that this may be what people call Split audio tracks?

Can you take me thur just one more step so that I am absolutely clear on this? Would i layout my audio tracks as follows?

A1 narration/dialog
A2 Nat. sound and soundFX
A3 Music stereo LEFT
A4 Music Stereo RIGHT

then to putput master 1, delete tracks 3/4 and for master 2 delete tracks 1/2?

thanks!
Anonymous User
November 10, 2005 12:54PM
I don't see anything wrong with this. It should work.

Are you using FW control to drive the mastering deck? There is that pesky problem of firewire by nature isn't 100% timecode accurate. Your masters may differ on their start time by a few frames.

I'm still wondering what the purpose is. Do they capture the two masters and marry them together somehow? Is this going to audio post? How are these two tapes used?

More of an inquiring minds thing....

November 10, 2005 01:01PM
glad you asked and I need to verify with the network, but I think the masters are simply for archive.
Anonymous User
November 10, 2005 01:04PM
Ahh, that's good. They can futz with it later!

tee hee!

November 10, 2005 06:46PM
If you've got FCP 5 and the right equipment you can

"Capture and output up to 24 channels of high resolution 24-bit, 96kHz audio in a single pass. Final Cut Pro 5 is fully compatible with these MCP (Mackie Control Protocol) devices: Mackie Control, Mackie Control XT, Logic Control, and Logic Control XT. So you can use external audio control surfaces to mix and record multiple fader automations simultaneously ? and enjoy two-way communication between your system and the control surface."

(from the FCP 5 website)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics