Posted by MikeLA 
Music Cue Sheets Question
November 09, 2005 05:26PM
Hi everyone,

Does FCP 4.5 output music cue sheets?
thanks!

Re: Music Cue Sheets Question
November 10, 2005 03:01AM
Do you mean pictorial cue sheets? What do you want to export to? Soundtrack can take the entire video in and lets you score to the actual product.
November 10, 2005 12:09PM
Thanks Jude. I need something like an EDL that lists all the music tracks I use in a program/sequence with in and out points and duration. Maybe FCP does not output such a list, but I was under the impression that it did. Does it?

Anonymous User
November 10, 2005 12:16PM
I've never had to go looking for that. Did you check for it in the manual?

Otherwise, make a copy of your timeline, delete everything that's not music, and export an EDL. As long as you named you tracks correctly, that's all you should need, I'd guess.

November 10, 2005 12:45PM
Perhaps FCP does not provide this, and your idea of simply outputting a music EDL is the workaround for FCP. For some reason I thought in FCP the "export OMF audio " function served this purpose.

Anonymous User
November 10, 2005 12:49PM
OMF just gives you actual audio files...

Oh, wait! We just had this conversation! ;-P

Is there nothing in the manual? It seems like an obvious easy thing...except how does FCP distinguish between an AIFF of music and an AIFF of recorded narrator tracks? Hmmm, maybe not so easy.

Good question, though!!

November 10, 2005 02:53PM
Most editors isolate music tracks (eg. there's nothing on A9-A12 except music) for this very purpose. If you did that organization work, then it becomes much easier to turn off music tracks for the composer, copy/paste into a new sequence for EDL export, etc.
November 10, 2005 06:08PM
Thansk Derek, very helpful!
November 11, 2005 02:57AM
Thanks Guys.

Being a music Composer for film, I have been doing the work arounds, not finding the time (too lazy) to discover or use the "export OMF audio" as a solution. This discussion motivates me to explore this option.

Good goin'

Duane
Anonymous User
November 11, 2005 09:37AM
Why I copy the timeline and delete everything but the music vs. copy and paste the music into a new timeline...

Once I had an errant in point, or a cursor sitting in the wrong place, or something. My paste ended up NOT originating from where it was supposed to, and all my timecodes were off. I didn't know right off because I had no other reference, and I didn't think to check right away. I caught it in time, but it could've been a big issue....

So now I copy, lock the music tracks (usually 5&6 or 7&8, sometimes 9&10), and delete the rest, thereby insuring the tracks are exactly where they're supposed to be.

November 11, 2005 09:47AM
It's true that you have to watch for the fact that the paste will be applied to wherever your playhead is. That's where Slugs can also come in handy.

Normally, however, when exporting deliverables for sound, you should really have colour bars and 2-pop in place already at the beginning of the timeline (with the single frame of pop on every track), and the music should stay where it's supposed to.
Anonymous User
November 11, 2005 10:22AM
ahhh--good point about the B&T, derek.

I had my issue back in the day before it was widely known the Edit to Tape Bars & Tone weren't best.

Hey, my B&T are actually files I exported from an Avid. What is everyone else using these days?

Post Edited (11-11-05 08:23)
November 11, 2005 12:27PM
I think you're right, Deb -- the FCP bars and tone often have more than one frame of audio spike. I customize my own countdown and 2-pop with only one frame of pop, although weirdly enough, I often still see more than one frame (perhaps a frame and a half) of pop. So sometimes I still have to cut it by one frame when applied.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics