tiffs inFCP 5 - help!

Posted by irene 
tiffs inFCP 5 - help!
November 10, 2005 03:43PM
hi -

i just upgraded my 2 GHz g5 to FCP 5.0, up from 4.5. so now i've just finished upgrading the project i've been editing in fcp 4.5 for my new FCP. it made me re-do all my rendering, which i guess is normal. now i am playing through my timeline tomake sure it all looks okay. mostly it looks fine, except suddenly my still images (from TIFF files) look horrible! moire, shaky, staggery, you name it - they look truly awful. but oddly they used to look fine an hour ago in fcp 4.5 - what's going on??

thanks in advance for help,

irene
Re: tiffs inFCP 5 - help!
November 10, 2005 03:47PM
Change your sequence setting's field dominance to none. Should do the trick.
November 10, 2005 03:48PM
Did you check all your render settings? And are you watching on an external monitor? You can't check effects in the Canvas -- they will always look bad.
November 10, 2005 04:47PM
De-interlace the photo. That should take care of any jittering.
November 10, 2005 05:47PM
that was the first thing i tried, because those are the filters i usually put on freeze frames - deinterlace and flicker filter. but in this case it just seemed to "freeze" the jagged lines in the photo - so not so much stutter anymore, but still awful looking. i've never seen this before, and these same images looked absolutely okay earlier this afternoon in fcp 4.5.
November 10, 2005 05:49PM
i am using an external ntsc monitor- that's where the jagged lines and shaking are most pronounced. what should i check about my render settings? this render happended automatically the first time i opened my old fcp 4.5 project in my upgraded fcp 5.0 - it asked if i wanted to rerender everything, so i said ok, and iti did not seem to give me a lot of setting sor options in ths window - this was before it even opened up my project.
November 11, 2005 01:46AM
Perhaps... Is your Quicktime playback quality not set to 'high'? On less than the highest settings sometimes live action material looks kind of okay - so you might not notice it - but the hard lines of animation or illustrations can show up the lower quality playback.
November 11, 2005 10:45AM
Tom

How do you change your setting in QT to best/highest quality?
I know this is a simple question and deserves a simply response. I'm at work not at home to actually change it. But thought i still ask so when i get home i know exactly where to go to make these changes. I am having some of the same issues in this thread but with video not stills.
November 11, 2005 11:12AM
Did you change the field dominance to none? Here's how...

Select the Sequence in the Browser.
In the file menu click SEQUENCE>SETTINGS (apple 0)
Change "Field Dominance" to NONE

I know this is extremely evident when working in uncompressed sequences. For some reason in FCP 4.5 the default "lower" is fine - as it should be, but when those projects are opened in FCP 5, they need to have the settings changed. It doesn't seem "healthy" to ignore field dominance, but it does make graphics much clearer. I actually learned this trick from Michael!

P.S. Are these alpha matted images? If so check to make sure the alpha is set correctly - "black / straight". It's in the clips settings (apple 9)
November 11, 2005 12:44PM

Are you having problems with keyframes on any of these images? I am having a similar issue (I have a thread on here called "FCP resets my keyframes and adds color filters)-- everything was fine in FCP 4.5 and after I upgraded, I started having major issues.
November 11, 2005 12:53PM
In FCP, under System Settings, Playback Control tab, set Video Quality to High.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics