Quicktime 7 & FCP 4.5 HD

Posted by Jonathan Robinson 
Quicktime 7 & FCP 4.5 HD
December 12, 2005 10:24PM
I'm using FCP 4.5 HD with OSX 10.3.9 and Quicktime 6.5.2. Can I upgrade to Quicktime 7.0? Can I upgrade to Quicktime 7.0 while in the middle of an FCP project? Thanks!
Re: Quicktime 7 & FCP 4.5 HD
December 12, 2005 10:35PM
Never recommended.

Andy
Ok, but when the project is completed, is FCP 4.5 HD compatible with Quicktime 7?
December 13, 2005 08:36AM
Hi Jonathan

I have had no problems at all with FCP 4.5 and QT 7 even when I upgraded mid-projects.

However some of my friends did have problems after the update - digitising (From PAL DVCAM) and had to use the Apple 6.5.2 Reinstaller that removes 7.01 and replaces it with the old 6.5.2 and/or had to remove the FCP Prefs file. Read Ken Stone's Trashing Pref's article: [www.lafcpug.org]

The latest version is QT 7.0.3 and we are all using FCP5 now so I can't comment whether this works ok on 4.5, so, if you update make sure you get version 7.0.2

Update first to 7.0.2 and see if it works - then upgrade to 7.0.3

There are Apple uninstallers for each step so if it doesn't work you can reinstall.

I know its a long route but if you are worried about updating then always make sure you have a way back.

Other things you MUST have to keep your system running smoothly - Onyx & TechTool Pro 4 - these two programs will help system/file problems you might have after install/removal of Apps and also streamline your video storage to reduce dropped frames, etc.

I use *TechTool Pro "Directory Maintenance" for my Video Storage HDDs after capture or deleting lots of media.

I also run TTP* from the CD-ROM or TTP eDrive on my Mac OS X System HDD at least once every 2 months, or more often if I've installed/removed lots of Apps.

Onyx is free: [www.titanium.free.fr]

TTP4 from Micromat: [www.micromat.com]

Here are the Apple Quicktime links:

Quicktime 7.0.3: [www.apple.com]

Quicktime 7.0.2: [www.apple.com]

Quicktime 6.5.2 Reinstaller: [www.apple.com]
The QuickTime 6.5.2 reinstaller will remove QuickTime 7.0.1 from a Mac OS X 10.3.9 system and restore QuickTime 6.5.2

Quicktime 7.0.1 Reinstaller for QuickTime 7.0.2:[www.apple.com]
The QuickTime 7.0.1 reinstaller will remove QuickTime 7.0.2 or later from a Mac OS X and restore QuickTime 7.0.1

QuickTime 7.0.1 Reinstaller for QuickTime 7.0.3: [www.apple.com]
Will remove QuickTime 7.0.3 from Mac OS X and restore QuickTime 7.0.1

I hope this helps

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 13, 2005 07:34PM
I'm on 7.01 and FCP HD (4.5) on one of my machines and it's working fine. There are a lot of people having trouble with the upgrade though - make sure to delete your old numbered quicktime receipts if you have the same troubles. Ben's given a great list of emergency measures, too.

Getting access to the H.264 codec makes it worth upgrading, IMHO - but not in the middle of a project.

December 13, 2005 07:39PM
im having trouble , preview disabled (final cut 4.5, 10.3.9, QT 7.03), how do i delete quicktime reciepts?
December 14, 2005 04:43AM
The receipts are in:

"Mac HD"/Library/Receipts

Also read Ken Stone's Trashing Pref's article: [www.lafcpug.org]

This helped one of my collegues with a similar problem.

Failing both of these you might want to reinstall version 7.0.2 or earlier.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics