snipped from FCP-L:

------------------------------------------------
Terence Curren wrote:

Steve gave me permission to post this. He has taken the job as Sr. Product
Manager for FCP.
Interesting times ahead.

-----------------------
Oliver Peters wrote:

The main reason this is good is because Apple is putting in someone with a professional video background coupled with extensive product background.
This bucks the trend, where such a job is often held by, at worst, a marketing guy and, at best, a software engineer.
Almost never a post-production veteran.

In addition, Steve has always made it a point to take the input from users and customers
and to try to implement those ideas into the product.
I think this is a good sign for FCP owners and editors,
since it reinforces Apple's commitment to the pro video marketplace.

Since Steve is largely reponsible for the Symphony color-correction workflow,
I hope we'll see improved color-correction routines in future versions of FCP,
among other things.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous User
Re: Steve Bayes FCP product manager
December 17, 2005 10:23PM
Seems like a very good hire but perhaps silly of Oliver to think that the FCP team doesn't take "input from its users and customers." I know many of these people. Of course they do. There jobs depend on it for crying out loud.

I wish Steve the very best.

December 17, 2005 11:47PM
sorry, i should have snipped a bit more before posting.
they can be a crotchety lot over there at FCP-L, for sure..

i guess what he was getting at was someone with an editing background might be better at evaluating the requests that come though?

or maybe he was just being crotchety smiling smiley

nm
December 18, 2005 12:55AM
Welcome aboard, Steve!

Perhaps now all those "pry it from my cold, dead hand" Avid users will take FCP seriously. As for whether Apple "listens" to the professional post community, I can speak from personal experience... THEY DO!

The only time I ever got personal attention from Avid is when they learned we were making the switch to FCP. By then, it was like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

mark
December 18, 2005 02:18AM
Hail all-

Steve's gonna be welcome.

My faulty listing had him at Boris for a bit - although I think he was at Avid before that.

Ian
Anonymous User
December 18, 2005 03:28AM
I don't recall there ever was SR Product Manager of FCP. Man, I'll never understand Corporate structure and who does what and what ones title means.

December 18, 2005 06:57AM
Perhaps we'll see some long standing bugs fixed, or even, a new total re-write from the ground up to to try and move FCP to a stable footing for the many years ahead. Or perhaps FCP6 will still list media mangler as a feature....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
December 18, 2005 12:15PM
> Or perhaps FCP6 will still list media mangler as a feature...

I wonder if anybody will disagree if I suggested that they take out the "Modify existing media" option of Media Manager? Plain and simple, it's a potentially disastrous operation that can't be undone. The only time I can think of for this feature is if somebody had filled up all his storage, and even then, I'd get more storage instead of risking my media and project file.

Why do you guys think that some very basic FCP flaws still haven't been corrected -- for example, the inability to reconnect speed-modified clips, and the inability to *not* automatically ripple when speed changes are first applied?
Greg Kozikowski
December 18, 2005 12:25PM
<<<Perhaps we'll see some long standing bugs fixed>>>

How hard would this be:

"Your hard drives are approaching capacity. If you continue without providing additional storage, the system may become unstable and damage your work."

Koz

December 18, 2005 12:43PM
Basic fixes also include the gamma issues with Quicktime, 10bit, RGB Y'CbCr and still image / export. These are pretty fundamental IMHO. If you can't get the basics right....

Graeme

Anonymous User
December 18, 2005 01:15PM
Graeme Nattress wrote:

> Perhaps we'll see some long standing bugs fixed, or even, a new
> total re-write from the ground up to to try and move FCP to a
> stable footing for the many years ahead. Or perhaps FCP6 will
> still list media mangler as a feature....
>
> Graeme

I think we can all agree that the folks in Cupertino know what is wrong with Final Cut. Why certain basic functions have not been addressed is anyones guess. None of us have a clue what the obstacles are that prevent them from "fixing" a particular problem. I'd guess it is not, as many people speculate, priorities.

December 18, 2005 01:25PM
Good comment Mike. It just gets frustrating to still have V1 bugs plaguing us, no matter what the reason.

Graeme

December 18, 2005 04:11PM
Oliver Peters is the CEO of my Avid User's Group here in Orlando, Florida. There's NO FCP support here, which is why I joined up with Mike & the LAFCPUG. Steve Bayes spoke to us a few times before jumping ship at Avid. For those that don't really comprehend what an amazing talent Apple and FCP is getting, Steve wrote all the Avid Handbooks that every Avid Editor LIVES BY (The Avid Bible):

[www.avidhandbook.com]

Interesting times ahead is an understatement. You can probably count on MAJOR POSITIVE CHANGES in the coming upgrades smiling smiley

Woo-Hoo!!!!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 18, 2005 04:32PM
A data based media underpinning is lieky a necessity to cure some of the mangler odities. IMHO Apple could steal a march on many of the other NLE's by coming our with a comprehensive electronic media management solution that works for stills, audio, all forms of video, and even project notes and script drafts .

THEN - if it kept track of digital rights management and provided a BMG report for licencing and allowed a smart pack and archive feature - I think we'd all jump on it in a second.

I've been doing so much end of year paperwork on this crap - I'd be delighted to deal with "little" issues like gamma and editing and still export. I just wanna edit but darn if I can get past the paperwork lately.

But one would hope such a base would allow some of the perennial media mangler woes to be addressed at last.

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics