How can I get Slow Motion effect in Music video?

Posted by ZIA 
ZIA
How can I get Slow Motion effect in Music video?
December 19, 2005 02:22AM
Hi guys,

How can I get the effect of the band Police video "Wrapped Around your finger"?
I want to be able to keep the audio in normal speed and the video to be in "slow motion".
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks,

Zia
Re: How can I get Slow Motion effect in Music video?
December 19, 2005 02:30AM
Maybe post a link to the vid you're talking about. Help us help you.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
December 19, 2005 06:13AM
You have to record the video with the band playing and singing at faster than normal speed. Then when you slow down the video, they can appear to be singing at normal speed.

There will be maths.
December 19, 2005 09:33AM
Yep thats the way to do it...

Find out what speed you want to do the slow motion by doing some tests.

I'd recommend 33%-50% slowmo (any slower and you really should use a varicam or highspeed camera or your video will appear choppy)

For 33.33% slowmo you need to record a Soundtrack at 300% speed

For 50% slowmo you need to record a Soundtrack at 200% speed

TIPS:

Make sure you make a click track "lead in" (like a metronome) before you speed up the soundtrack (I'd recommend 10 clicks at 1 second intervals).

This means you can take the slomo footage then line up the video from the audible cues to the Normal speed soundtrack.

Note - Make sure you mark the slate/clapper correctly for the speed and also record the Audio from the shoot including the sped up Cues!

Have fun - its mad to see bands singing like Alvin and the chipmunks!!!

You can also do this in reverse of course - with action sped up - its harder for the bands as their actions need to be really slow & smooth or you get that Stop-motion effect grinning smiley

Let us know how it turns out!

Ben

Post Edited (12-20-05 06:15)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 19, 2005 10:43AM
I haven't seen the video you are talking about but I did something similar the other day where I wanted to make the subject slower and show like a trail....so I applied the Strobe Disolve filter and adjusted it a little bit....it might not be what 100% what you want, but this effect makes the subject (in this case a talking head) appear slower than normal time and the audio will stay inSync

Arod -

ZIA
December 19, 2005 11:19AM
Thanks a lot all you guys. I really appreciate the help.

Zia
December 19, 2005 07:58PM
hey ZIA - how did that strobe disolve work for you?

ZIA
December 20, 2005 01:17AM
Hi Arod,

I haven't had a chance to work with it but as soon as I do I'll let you know. I really want to thank all you guys for helping me. I'm on a deadline for a commercial right now. Soon as I finish with it, I'll check it out.
Thanks,

Zia
ZIA
December 28, 2005 12:31AM
Hey Arod,

I cannot find the "Strobe Dissolve" effect in FCP which you had mentioned to me. Which bin is it in?
Thanks,

Zia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics