reference movie

Posted by Steve Hawley 
reference movie
May 03, 2005 07:02PM
Q: should it take the same amount of time and space (file size) to create a reference movie as it does to create a Quicktime Movie (self-contained)?

- Steve
Tae
Re: reference movie
May 03, 2005 07:10PM
No and no.
Greg Kozikowski
May 03, 2005 07:19PM

<<<No and no.>>>

What Tae meant to say was a reference or non-self contained movie is a really small pile of pointers to clips. It's not the actual movie. Move one of those clips by accident and your reference movie is so much garbage.

A self contained (non reference) movie is the real thing. You can move that to another machine and it will play just fine. It's not dependent on anything else.

Koz
Steve Hawley
May 03, 2005 07:58PM
This is what I thought...BUT...it's been my experience in 4.5 that it takes the same amount of space and time.

Here's my workflow:

file>export>quicktime movie>same settings, self-contained NOT checked.

The timeline is 1:44:42:00 long, one video layer, no filters or anything, and it takes about 45 minutes to write the file...which takes up 22.16 G on the HD.

What am I doing wrong?

- Steve
Greg Kozikowski
May 04, 2005 11:54AM

<<<which takes up 22.16 G on the HD. >>>

Typically, with no effects and other fancies, that file would be really tiny compared to the self-contained movie.

I can't wait to see the answer to this one.

I can't get near the G5 to try this out, but if I get an opportunity, I'll try.

Do you get *exactly* the same size file with and without?

Koz
Steve Hawley
May 06, 2005 07:54PM
Koz,

It's exactly the same size. Rather frustrating. This has happened on several occasions (each time I've tried it).

10.3.5, G5, dual 2G, 2G RAM, 2x250G HDs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics