Can I use DVD as a storage vehicle for DV or DVCPro

Posted by Steve Lahey 
I have 19-G-4's all have FCP HD and DVD burners. I have 1 DV and 1 DVCPRO tape players with fire wired into 2 of the G-4?s. My idea is to use these 2 stations as input locations to burn DV material to DVD so that they can then be moved to 1 of the other 17 stations which don't have tape machines and imported into FCP to edit. In other words, I want to use DVD as a cheap storage media for inputting and outputting to FCP. I know I can do this with portable hard drives however DVD R's are less expensive storage vehicle. It is very important that all the data, video, audio and time-code be transferred accurately. Can this be done?
yes, you CAN do this without any trouble. as long as you are just using the discs to transfer media to the other machines - i wouldnt work from the dvd's

its just a matter of the time it will take and the space needed. copying to and burning a full dvd takes around 20 minutes... and then transfer time again at each machine...

i would suggest just getting a cheap external firewire drive and just move that from machine to machine. time IS MONEY
well you wouldnt want to be in a hurry!

DV on DVD might be alright for posting, or for archiving, but for moving from machine to machine it's a painfully slow way.

time is money
go with a FW solution,
or look into networking the machines

nick
"Let's jump over dollars to get to pennies"

Don't waste your time man. Buy more drives. You know where Fry's in Burbank is right? Can you build a FireWire drive? Get a cheap drive, a cheap 911 case--back up, and you're as good as gold....

Kevin
I've been using DVD for archiving small projects for about a year. It does work great if you've got the time to spare while your discs are being burned. I also work alot with a guy in Washington DC. We share offline files all the time from DVD and then siimply e-mail new project files with any of our subsequent edit versions. It is cheaper than buying new drives. But when I'm in a hurry, a new drive is the ticket.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics