g5 freeze everytime after 25 min

Posted by Snir Wein 
Hi,

I have a g5 dual 2.0, with a lacie 320 external hard drive and I´m using a sony dv deck dsr-11. I´m using mac os X 10.4 and final cut pro hd 4.5

Everytime I turn on the computer it freezes after 25 minutes on the clock, it stops answering to the wireless mouse and keyboard and I can´t do anything but restart from the power button.

I tried reinstaling the mac os 10.4 and final cut, but it didn´t help, I even erased the internal hard drive.
I took the machine to an applestore and they say there´s nothing wrong with it, that it must be something with one of the peripherals (apart form the ones mentioned before there´s a apple cinema display 20´ as well) or with the electricity instalation in may office.

If anyone can help me I´ll be most grateful.

Snir
Standard troubleshooting procedure: Isolate the elements. Hook up your computer and run it without your peripherals. Then rehook your peripherals one by one and operate the computer for half an hour every time. If no anomalies are detected, leave your peripherals hooked up and restart your computer, then leave it standing without doing any operations on it. This will help determine whether it's a software issue. The primary symptom right now is the 25-minute mark -- is it absolute, or merely an illusion?

You have a Lacie drive and a lot of people have had problems with that brand. Did you reformat it and "write zeroes to all sectors" before you started using it? Have you tried the drive on another, hitherto perfectly operational computer?

I've never heard of a Sony DSR-11 causing computer problems, though it's not impossible.
Re: g5 freeze everytime after 25 min
May 10, 2005 09:39AM
Also, check your system preferences for something that is happening every 25 minutes - sleep mode? Network time check? Software update? Could be a lot of things, but it sounds suspiciously like something automated that is jamming - autosave?

Thanks Jude and Derek,

The computer is freezing without any peripherals as well.
I tried regular wired keyboard and mouse to see if it was something with the bluetooth wireless technology and it happened again.
Derek was right, it is not always exactly 25 minutes, but something around it.
The freezing happens without the Lacie hard disk and without the dsr 11 deck.
The system preferences is set to never sleep and software update is off, I´m really running out of options.
Even when I don´t run final cut it keeps freezing.
The apple cinema display or the electricity instalation are my last options,
but it is very weird indeed.

Snir
Greg Kozikowski
Re: g5 freeze everytime after 25 min
May 10, 2005 04:09PM

Time for the musty books.

Who put the memory in your machine? Is it Apple certified?

Does the problem change with heat? If you warm up the room a little, does the freezing problem change? If one of your fans failed, one of the internal processors or other devices may be overheating after about 30 minutes of use.

I don't know if your particualr machine lets you look at all the internal fans (with the doors open) while the machine is running, but I'd want to do that.

Take the machine to your mom's house and run it there. Does everything suddenly change?

Search Everywhere for:

crontab
anacrontab

Those are the two programs that cause timed events to happen in a UNIX system. I don't have any on my machines and if you have one, that may be the problem.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics