OT - Where to get heads cleaned in L.A.?

Posted by Mike Rainey 
Hi

My XL1s ate a tape on rewind. The camera has not had a lot of tapes run through it, but I have not been using one brand of tape exclusively. I would like to have the heads cleaned locally instead of shipping the camera to Canon in Irvine (I have a shoot on Friday).

Can anyone recommend a reliable place in Los Angeles (or nearby communities) to have this done?

Thanks
-Mike
Greg Kozikowski
Re: OT - Where to get heads cleaned in L.A.?
May 10, 2005 03:21PM

<<<My XL1s ate a tape on rewind.>>>

That's not heads. You need the transport cleaned or aligned. Heads just gives you checkerboardy sparkling video. It doesn't physically destroy the tape.

That's rough. Our favorite servicing people in Santa Monica won't touch Canon.

Koz
try video clinic in santa monica
Canon factory service is OK
May 10, 2005 06:17PM
I have had generally positive experiences with Canon's own repair facility which I believe is in Irvine (I just shipped the camera). Tape transports are not the strong suite for the Canon prosumer line, so the factory service folks have lots of experience ;-) I had the transport on my GL2 replaced twice, the last time it was out of warranty but they covered it as the transport was only a few months old.
Greg Kozikowski
Re: OT - Where to get heads cleaned in L.A.?
May 10, 2005 06:43PM

<<<try video clinic in santa monica>>>

Unless you personally have gotten Canon stuff serviced there, I believe they don't do it. Serge had some problem about getting Canon certification. He's got everything else, tho.

2307 Wilshire Blvd, SM, CA 90403
(310) 828-6464

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics