OT - 24p versus 29.97?

Posted by kevin 
kevin
OT - 24p versus 29.97?
May 11, 2005 11:36AM
Please excuse my ignorance, and I know there is a partial discussion down the board, I'm trying to improve my knowledge and videos. What is the advantage in shooting in 24p versus 29.97 on a xl1 or a vx 1000? Is it simply a look? An attempt to get away from the plastic look of video? The final destination is dvcam tapes for broadcast on public access.

Thanx,

Kevin
Re: OT - 24p versus 29.97?
May 11, 2005 05:28PM
24P gives a more film-like look to the footage. It's progressively scanned and is recorded (sort-of) at the same frame rate as film (24fps). NTSC Video is interlaced and records at 30fps, which is part of why video looks the way it does.

It all depends on how you want your footage to come out and what you're shooting. A documentary would surely benefit, but maybe you wouldn't want it for news stories or interviews. Go down to your rental house and see if you can shoot some tests and see for yourself.

Please note that 24P footage actually comes into your computer at 29.97 just like regular video (unless you shoot in Advanced mode, see discussion below). The "look" is achieved in camera. And the XL1 and VX1000 do NOT shoot in 24P. You're looking for a Panasonic DVX100A or an XL2.
kevin
Re: OT - 24p versus 29.97? Graeme?
May 11, 2005 05:39PM
Thank you for the info. So now I'll have to wait to see what the HVX200 looks like versus the Z1 and the cost as well.

have you tried Graeme Nattress film look? Does it look or work better on 24p versus 29.97?

Thanx again,

Kevin
Re: OT - 24p versus 29.97?
May 12, 2005 04:30PM
Nattress Film Effects does two main things - convert 60i video to 24p (so if you shoot 24p you don't need this bit) and it does tonal corrections to make it appear more filmic (which works on all video).

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics