ipod commercial production technique

Posted by Steve Coulson 
Does anyone know a simple way to reproduce (steal) the shooting/compositing technique used in Apples series of ipod spots?

The actors in the foreground are black silhouettes against brightly coloured backgrounds. I'm using FCP 4.5 HD and shooting on DVCpro.

I'd appreciate your input

Cheers
Steve
Greg Kozikowski
Re: ipod commercial production technique
May 20, 2005 04:10PM

<<<Does anyone know a simple way to reproduce (steal) the shooting/compositing technique used in Apples series of ipod spots? >>>

Any green/blue/chroma key shoot. Trash all the original video and send the mask channel.

Koz
As far as the black figures go, the technique requires more than just black sitting there as graphic filler. Small details like the iPod's wiring and shadow details are roto-painted onto the frame. It's the little things that catch your eye. You might try recording the commercial and scrutinize the frames and you'll see what I mean.

Kevin
Using the Chroma Key filter, and clicking the invert box, gives you 90% of the iPod com'l look.

BUT, as the previous poster pointed out, the detail of the wires and the iPod itself, is what sets the iPod ad campaign apart from plain Green Screen work.
Greg Kozikowski
Re: ipod commercial production technique
May 21, 2005 09:58PM

And, since nobody hit this yet--and I just glanced off it--you do have to shoot your talent over a well saturated, evenly lit green or blue wall. You can't do it with the video from Grandma's Trip To The Beach...unless the beach was bright green.

Are the beaches in Ireland..........?

Never mind.

Koz
I've found that the FCP Chroma Keyer is just sophisticated enough - or primitive enough - that it is relatively forgiving of improper Green Screen lighting.
and don't forget the chroma edge resampler - whatever it's called. that thing really cleans up edges in DV footage.

h
Remember to backlight the objects, people so that the foreground is properly set apart from the backgroundSteve Coulson wrote:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics