CAPTURING PROBLEMS

Posted by Steve Moriarty 
CAPTURING PROBLEMS
May 27, 2005 12:00AM
HI GUYS

Have recently ran into a problems when capturing some analog footage.
I have set FINAL CUT PRO HD to use a NON-CONTROLLED DEVICE. Am using a Sony D8 camcorder as the converter. This has worked well in the past. Began capturing with NOW as I normally do but after about 20 captures had a capture that wouldn't end the normal way [ESC] and had to cold boot the G5 to get it to stop. I looked at the file that was created and it used up 233GB of hard drive space. The file showed -av added to the end of my filename. I deleted this file from the project & the drive, freeing up the drive space but all capture attempts from then on my resulted in the same problem. One capture actaully eat up two drives, one of 233GBs & other of 185GBs. On some of these captures a series of files with the same filename & -av will be created.
When doing the capture it appears as if the capture "hangs" when you attempt to end it by pressing ESC. I have attempted both long & short duration captures with the same result. I have a G5 Dual 2.0, with 2GB of RAM, and 750GBs of hard drive space on three seperate drives. I have the capture limit set to 60 minutes.
Have advice or help would be appreicated.

STEVE MORIARTY
Greg Kozikowski
Re: CAPTURING PROBLEMS
May 27, 2005 11:37AM

We know the large "stuck" files are FCP reserving disk space for the capture. When a capture aborts incorrectly, those work files become abandoned on the drive. You can delete them.

As to why it failed, any time somebody complains "suddenly it stopped working" I suspect drives filling up. Do an INFO on **all** your drives whether or not you're using them for video and including the System Drive.

No drive on a video system shold be over 90% full.

<<<One capture actaully eat up two drives, one of 233GBs & other of 185GBs.>>>

I have a really bad feeling about this. Are you trying to capture to daisy-chained FireWire drives?

Koz
Re: CAPTURING PROBLEMS
May 27, 2005 10:12PM
And do you have any virus checking software installed? Nortons, virex, anything that wants to check files as they come into the computer - need to be disabled or deleted.

The fact that it worked for half the session is odd though. Have you tried trashing your preferences? It sounds like something went wonky there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics