Decklink HD problems... freezing frames

Posted by Armen Grigorian 
We are onlining our first HD project cut in FCP 4.5 with the following specs and are experiencing some problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-FCP 4.5
-G5/Dual 2.7GHz
-OS 10.4.1
-Decklink HD card
-Decklink 4.8 Drivers
-Digitizing HD-SDI from a Sony JH3 deck.
-XServe RAID with pre-fetch set to 128MB

The problem we were initially experiencing was broken timecode. Almost every clip would capture fine until the end of the clip was reached. An error message would then come up regarding broken timecode and the media was ultimately not captured. When the deck control preset for the Decklink card was changed to read both LTC and VITC, the clips captured fine. We subsequently started experiencing problem with random clips that would play and then freeze on one frame only to pick up playing again a few seconds later with the remaining footage that was 2 seconds downstream in the media (i.e. the footage did not pick up on the frame after the freeze frame but where the play marker was in the master clip). This problem is seen even when the captured clips are played back with the Quicktime Player and not FCP. Stepping through the clip frame by frame shows the freeze frames as well as the observed jump to the motion frame downstream (i.e. stepping through and removing throughput as a variable still shows the same problem). This problem is observed with clips being batched for a specific sequence as well as brand new logged clips. Has anybody ever seen this problem and is there a workaround for the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are on a critical deadline.

Thanks!
It sounds as if the clips that freeze and then pick up were digitized that way since it behaves the same in Quicktime as well as FCP. That would make me suspect the Decklink Card. Since you apparently have Tiger installed, my first question would be: Do you have updated Decklink software intended for Tiger? I'm not sure if 4.8 is the most recent or qualified for tiger. I did notice that the Blackmagic Design people were running Tiger and FCP 5 at NAB, so they must have compatibility. I would ask them and see if this is a known problem and whether or not they have a fix for it.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics