Modify>Timecode Command Question

Posted by Dave Morgan 
I find explanations on what this is but not how to do it.

Does anyone know how? (Sorry, a bit of a novice editor)

I have a two camera capture (without a starting slate) and I want to set the timecodes the same so I can edit them. I've already lined up sync but I think the only reasonable way to start cutting is to refer to timecode points which need to be the same on both reels.

I get to the modify timecode dialog box but not sure how to select footage (by clip or whole track etc..) and reset codes to zero? How to properly use this technique.

thx
David,

the simplest way to do it would be to establish a synch starting point for each camera and then use the modify timecode command to set camreel 1 at say 01:00:00:00 and camreel2 at 02:00:00:00. Use the set timecode at current frame option. Resetting the tc would be useful if you for some reason (like on-line) need to keep track of what shots from which reel are in the sequence. It will only provide a synch reference though if both cameras ran continuously. If not, then resetting tc at the heads won't help you much in terms of synch.

Alternatively, just put cam1 on V1 and cam2 on V2, find the synch points, making adjustments along the way where the cameras stopped and started, and then use the blade tool to start cutting it down.

Or, upgrade to 5.0. I don't have it yet so can't speak from experience, but multi-cam is one of the main new features.

hth,
Clay
Apparently, the timecode modification is applied to the actual file, not just the file's representation on FCP (ie. not like a Subclip). Modifying the timecode manually could mean that you can't recapture, media manage etc. (which isn't really an issue if, say, you captured the original footage without a batchlist, using Capture Now, or used a non-controllable-timecode device), and that your clip timecode would have a discrepancy with what's on the tape.

How about this instead: Sync the two clips, then copy each clip separately into its own sequence. This means you'll have two sequences in perfect sync. Now cut them into a third sequence as nested clips and turn Timecode Overlays on. This should allow you to implement a "control" timecode (ie. the timecodes on the two sequences/nested clips, which are easily adjustable via sequence settings) to the two clips without changing the timecode on the clips themselves.

You could also apply a Timecode Generator to the synced clips, which gives you an actual onscreen readout of where you are on the timecode. Just make sure the Generator filters on the clips have identical numbers.

When I edit synced footage, I usually just lay one piece from each camera angle in sync, and then drag, drag, drag, razor.
You can also apply an "Aux" timecode manually to get best of both worlds - keeping the original for recapture and the "Aux" for editing.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics