OSX.3.9 CAPTURE TO EXSTRENAL FW HD

Posted by michael lyas 
Hi, Wasn't sure of which forum to go to but here goes. I did a processor upgrade on my Digital Audio Mac, took the opportunity to do a complete clean reinstall of software, Firmware upgrades etc. (Protools LE, REASON, FCP4.5 HD, Toast, iAPPS)

Everthing is up and running except trying to capture to my external FireWire hard drive (IceCube Pleisdes Gen 2, 250Gb)

When I try to capture using Log And Capture and have the FW HD connected and have the camera connected, the Log and Capture viewer shows colour bars and has a thick black stripe going accross the viewer that states "PREVIEW DISABLED", if I try to capture I get the coloured wheel and everything freezes and restart.

At the bottom of the viewer screen, it sayes in { }' brackets NO COMMUNICATION, if i just capture to internal drive and have FW HD unpowered / unconected, my Cannon MVX150i, when connected to mac, the brackets state,{VTR OK} and I can capture.

I don't run any anti virus software yet, not yet installed (Nortons), I put the camera into FW port 1 and FWHD into FW 2 port,.

Sorry about the Tecchy type question, but maybe someone has been here before, MANY THANKS

Michael

OSX.3.9
Dual 1.8 ghz
1.25 Ram

Re: OSX.3.9 CAPTURE TO EXSTRENAL FW HD
June 12, 2005 11:44AM
Was Deck/camera powered on and in VTR mode before you booted up FCP?

Is this first time this hasnt worked?

Michael Horton
-------------------
Greg Kozikowski
Re: OSX.3.9 CAPTURE TO EXSTRENAL FW HD
June 12, 2005 01:20PM

<<, I put the camera into FW port 1 and FWHD into FW 2 port,.>>>

You don't say whether or not you have a G5, but on that machine, the front and back FireWire connections go to the same port. They do that on most Macs--which means the deck/camcorder and the drive are fighting for speed and data.

Do you have a second external FireWire drive? Things like that happen when there is something wrong with the external drive. Is there lots of elbow room on the drive? less than 80-90% full?

The Spinning Beach Ball Of Death happens when the machine has drive speed or access problems.

Koz
Thanks. Yes Cam was powered on to mains and in VTR Mode. I have been able to do this before. It's a G4 Digital Audio Mac, Originally 533 Dual processor. No other FW device running, use Digi 001, this is a PCI card, not FW '002. IceCube FW HD Has 170 GB available. MANY THANKS

michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics