Okay, What is the bottom line.

Posted by S. Jonson 
I don't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

Does FCPHD, Tiger and Quicktime 7 work together or not?

-Jonson
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Okay, What is the bottom line.
June 12, 2005 09:58PM

Final Cut 4.5HD, Panther, and QuickTime 6 didn't always get along.

That's not a particularly straight question and could be the reason for the dearth of ancers.

Koz
Greg Kozikowski
June 12, 2005 09:58PM

...or answers, either.

Koz
lol

What's going on man? Okay, what are the known issues of running FCPHD QT7 and Tiger together?
kevin
June 12, 2005 10:32PM
I ran tiger and FCP 4.5 for a couple of months before getting FCP 5 and it ran great. I work in dv.

kevin
Kev

Did you experience any problems when opening older projects that you'd done pre QT7?

Cheers for the reply
June 12, 2005 10:53PM
well FCP5, QT7.1 and OSX10.4.1 is working for me.

no weirdness at all.

this is MY bottom line. as they say: your mileage may vary.

nick

cheers for all the help,

this should ease my paranoia finally

-Sven
June 12, 2005 11:26PM
Dont open old projects in a new version. Just finish it and then upgrade

Thats the real bottom line

Michael Horton
-------------------
kevin
June 12, 2005 11:41PM
"Dont open old projects in a new version. Just finish it and then upgrade"

Absolutely true! I have opened footage captuired on a system running tiger and FCP 4.5 on a system running tiger and FCP 5 with no problems what so ever, but I would never upgrade mid project, your just asking for trouble. Be sure to do all the patchs for the system after install and repair permissions and things should be fine.

Good luck!

Kevin
> I would never upgrade mid project, your just asking for trouble.

At the very least, always back up the project files to multiple media locations before upgrading. Most of the time when you upgrade a project file, it leaves the media alone so that if something goes haywire, you can go back to the lower-version project files without penalty.
Greg Kozikowski
June 12, 2005 11:51PM

<<<Dont open old projects in a new version. Just finish it and then upgrade>>>

Of course. That's one of the Red Painted Rules: Never upgrade in the middle of a project. However, suppose you can't quite do that.

We're *constantly* going back to recut old work.

"Koz? You know the Water Demo Reel we did in April for BBDO? Can you add the water sequences from X-Men and Scooby?"

Shucks.

"Anybody remember were we put the commercial division's water reel?"

Are we now going to also have to remember which FCP cut it?

Koz
June 12, 2005 11:57PM
I hear ya Koz and yes it shouldn't be that way but it is...sometimes. FCP 3 to 4 was a BIG problem. I suspect it will be much less from 4.5 to 5 though.

Taking an old project a few months or years down the line is a bit different than switching during mid project with deadline looming. There are work arounds for everything and I'd rather find them during tweaks then mid project.

Michael Horton
-------------------
I'm not upgrading mid project

the project is complete but there is possiblity int he future to go back for a reexport for various reasons.

Just wanted to know if this was possible.
Yeah it's the scenario Koz is talking about we may have to come back to the project six months down the line and tweak it for whatever random reason is required.
By the way something interesting for you guys, the project I'm talking about which we just completed last month actually originated on FCP 1.2.5 on an old ass g4, we jumped to 4.5 in mid project last year and pulled it off without any glitches on an iBook, tonnes of sequences, composites etc included. It was a 78 minute Feature.

-Cheers for all help

(I should be knocking on wood I guess for doing doing something that dumb)
Hey, I don't think any of us ever say that upgrades always cause problems. We've got enough bad luck on other things as it is. On a reality-TV show last year, an assistant upgrade the HQ computer to FCP4.5 without asking the executive producer, the chief editor (me) or any of the freelance editors, thus forcing all our hands into upgrading and going into the woods.

Luckily, nothing bad happened.

Not a risk any of us wants to take, huh? At least, not without some kind of safety measure. Again, I back up like crazy. With safety measures in place and enough homework done, an upgrade mid-project isn't out of the question. We just gotta cover our J. Los while we're at it.
> "Dont open old projects in a new version. Just finish it and then upgrade "

we all know that's the word of wisdom

just in case you can't apply, sometimes... I can testify of the following / I am right know finishing a project on Fcp 5 / Tiger 10.4.1 / QuickTime 7

a LONG time project that I started in 1999, on an Avid / then went to ... Fcp 1.2.5 / since then it's been updated to all versions, every updates.. and it rolls perfectly

take some time to open though, because of the media clips tag (blabla) but otherwise... perfect

I wouldn't not have stayed in 1.2.5 - don't think so
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics