23" vs 20" Screen for HDV monitor

Posted by Greg Montgomery 
Any thoughts on the difference between a 23" display that can handle full HD resolution, or a 20" display that can't quite and has to dynamically resize/shrink it to fit on the screen.

I'm looking to buy a new display now, and hope to upgrade to a HDV monitor soon. Just curious if I will notice that much of a difference when I preview the footage. As my understanding is I can't preview out to TV or External Monitor through the camera, or without hard ware. So I have to use the Desktop Preview feature in Final Cut ( Sorry the exact term escapes me, but the mode where it plays the footage full screen on your computer monitor).

Just curious how well the 20" will work since it has to resize the footage. Will there be a performance hit? How much? Will their be a quality hit, if so how much? I'm looking to get a 20" wide screen, unless that leaves me truly crippled down the road, but price wise, we'll it's sure more appealing that way. But if there really is a compelling reason, other then it's just more cool, to get a 23" for HDV footage and desktop preview, I'll wait and save up.

Thanks,

Greg
Re: 23" vs 20" Screen for HDV monitor
June 21, 2005 08:58PM
The 23" is not just better because it's going to show you your HD at full resolution, but it's better as you'll edit faster and easier on a big screen too.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
So if I could afford a 20" now, but can't afford a 23" for say up to 6 months... would you recommend that I hold off for those 6 months until I can afford the 23". And keep using my CRT in the mean time?

Just trying to get a feel for how big of a difference there will be, as I want a 23", but gotta A) get the cash, and B) talk the powers that be into approving the purchase smiling smiley

Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics