Way OT: need suggestion for good Mac site

Posted by MikeDerk 
Way OT: need suggestion for good Mac site
February 18, 2006 02:06PM
My printer has died, and it was never a very good printer to begin with (the scanner NEVER worked). So, I'm going to get a new one.

But, I don't want to run into the same problems that I had before, and want a recommendation, but I don't know a good general Mac site to go post questions and read archives.

Can anybody recommend one?

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Way OT: need suggestion for good Mac site
February 18, 2006 02:34PM
www.macaddict.com
LMI
February 18, 2006 02:38PM
I have the Espon Stylus Photo RX500. Purchased it over the summer after reading a review on Creativemac.com. It works great for me, I have it connected to both my Macs (G4 & G5) and a PC via a USB switch. It copies, scans, prints and doesn't actually have to be connected to a 'puter to work. It also scans 35mm slides and negatives and has built-in memory card readers (CF, XD/SM, SD/MS) as well. All for about $200 at Sam's Club.

------------------------
"You may not like everything I say but, then again, neither does my Mother." - DLR

February 18, 2006 03:06PM
I have had it with Epson printers and their half spent ink "replacements needed" issues.

Go with a Canon printer. They make good printers that don't stop printing after one year. Also, I was in need of a MFC (printer, scanner, copier, FAX) and I choose the very inexpensive Brother 4500. Wow. what a deal! At $129.00 with $40.00 in rebates and it includes an ethernet interface.

I can print from any one of three MAC's connect to the network. The print cartridges for Canon are $18.00 per color and about the same for Brother.
February 18, 2006 09:13PM
Thanks for suggestions on the sites and the printers, guys!
February 19, 2006 01:08PM
>>I have had it with Epson printers and their half spent ink "replacements needed" issues.<<

I can't disagree, John. However, the one place where Epson still shines is the R200 and its iterations.....it works well for printing DVDs/CDs. For the cost of a full ink set, you can almost replace the printer. I wish Canon would come out with a similar model in the same price range.

-vic

February 19, 2006 01:51PM
Yes, I have spoken to Canon reps at both MacWorld and NAB at different times and they all are in agreement, except that Epson has the only patent on CD/DVD printers in the United States of America???

As a matter of fact their printers sold in America have the printer set up for printing discs except for the tray that hold the CD/DVD and the software that handles the printing of a round area.

It really is TOOOOOO BAD!
I'm a big Canon Pixma fan but Vic nails it-- the R200 sings, with its ability to print on CD's. I think John is right-- it's a commercial noncompete agreement of some sort, because overseas, Canon Pixma's indeed print on dsk. My only Epson R200 issue is with nonstandard lengths-- they say you can print to 44" but the driver keep snapping back to legal or letter... I'm probably missing something in Page Setup. And for now, Gimp-Print doesn't support the R200 with the fine contorl the supplied driver does. All in all, for US$100.00 and 60/ink set, not bad.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics