Fade Effect

Posted by Drfoxly 
Fade Effect
June 28, 2005 12:23PM
Avid has a canned effect called Fade Effect, which is a fade in & out, all self contained in one effect.
I haven't seen anything like that in FCP 4.5.
I know you can copy an effect you create & then paste it's attributes to another clip Like keyframe up, Fade up, & then Fade out, keyframe down, but can you save those attributes to effects or favorites?
Re: Fade Effect
June 28, 2005 01:33PM
What about the "Fade in Fade Out" transition or the "Dip to Color Disolve"

Sounds like what you are looking for.
June 28, 2005 03:01PM
Effects>Make Favorite Effect will customize that effect for you.
June 29, 2005 07:25AM
The Fade in Fade Out Dissolve you need to add to both ends of the clip.
Avids version would be add the Fade effect to the entire clip, fade in, fade out.
FCP has the extra steps.
June 29, 2005 07:48AM
"The Fade in Fade Out Dissolve you need to add to both ends of the clip."

Not sure what you mean by that, but this transition works like any other transition in the application, with the exception that it's the only one I think can be applied asymmetrically. Otherwise, simply having two clips butted to each other on a single track with available media will add the transition, just like every other one in the list.

All the best,

Tom
June 29, 2005 02:29PM
To apply the Fade Effect to one clip only, length doesn't matter, from one second to one minute.
Just apply it & give it a time & it will fade up, & at the end fade out.
June 29, 2005 06:24PM
If you're only apply it to the start of end of one clip, you're using the wrong transition. You should use a simple cross dissolve.

All the best,

Tom
June 29, 2005 10:43PM
I think what drfoxly is referring to is a specialized Avid effect that is applied like a filter effect instead of a transition. You give it a duration, say 30 frames and then it will fade up from black for 30 frames at the start of the clip and then fade to black for 30 frames at the end of the clip. It doesn't matter how long the clip itself is as long as it's long enough to do the fade in/fade out duration.

The corresponding effect in FCP would be keyframing opacity up and down for 30 frames, copying the clip and pasting the attributes to other clips. However, it's a little more difficult than that. You can't just have it adjust the effect to match the length of the other clips because the keyframes would spread out past 30 frames on longer clips, and be shorter than 30 on shorter clips. So what you really have to do is blade the 30 frames on either end of each clip and then paste the attributes of your 30 frame opacity transition.

As far as saving the effect, there are a couple of ways you can do that. You can't save attributes to your favorite effects, but you can create a bin in your project and save your attributes to a slug clip or something like that where you can find it easy. If you want to use it more often for other projects, then I'd suggest creating a project that contains saved attributes for your favorite effects that you can't save in the normal way. Special CC'ing, motion, etc.

Andy
June 30, 2005 05:32AM
I don't like doing it with opacity keyframes as it's clumsy to do with precision. I just use a cross dissolve on each end, exact standard length, easy to control duration, can be rolled and rippled.

All the best,

Tom
June 30, 2005 02:28PM
Dip to dissolve works awesomely!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics