Final Cut Pro 3

Posted by Jim Hollander 
Final Cut Pro 3
June 29, 2005 12:40PM

I used FCP HD, but keep fcp 3 on my computer (for a doc I still tweak--and wish to leave in fcp3.) Since upgrading to Tiger, I can no longer open it. I get a message telling me i need a "system ID file" and that i should go back and reinstall with the original fcp 3 disks. I have done that, and it doesn't change anything. I still get the message about needing a system ID file. I have seen references to others having this problem, but no fixes. Anybody have any ideas?
Re: Final Cut Pro 3
June 29, 2005 01:49PM
Different installation partitions or drives. I don't think the two can exist on the same drive/partition.

Ian
June 29, 2005 01:53PM
Prior to upgradiing to tiger, they existed on the same drive just fine, as long as only one was on at a time.

jim
June 29, 2005 02:06PM
I wonder if it isn't QT 7 that is causing the problem.

Scott
June 29, 2005 02:48PM
I wonder if FCP 3 will even run on Tiger and QT 7?
June 29, 2005 06:23PM
Try this

[docs.info.apple.com]

FCP 3 will run on Tiger

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 30, 2005 11:14AM
There is, perhaps, another idiosynchratic element at work here. I experienced this when I attempted to upgrade to 3.04 years ago. As you did not indicate which version of FCP 3 you had, this might be another tech article to read: [docs.info.apple.com].
Apparently, there was a version of FCP 3.0 with an "f 1" appended to it, which was unable to be moved, changed or upgraded, likely some whacky security "safeguard" which was more headache than anything. The Apple folks were very tight-lipped about this then and I got the feeling that a mistake was being politely swept away. They sent me another install disc (without the f 1 appendage), and the upgrade went smoothly and re-installs were easy. Maybe this will help.
June 30, 2005 08:54PM
Sorry, havn't looked below to see whether you got the correct reply eventually since I am in a hurry but couldn't resist a response since I have just had exactly the same problem....

This seems to happen when you make a copy of fcp or the os or try to duplicate one or other is some way (happened to me when I cloned my hd contents onto a new hd). I too found reinstalling from the original disc didn't get rid of the error message telling you to reinstall from the original disc. What I did was to go into all the folders where fcp stores its system id (your customer registration number)on the hard drive (I had more then one since I had a duplicated hard drive) but normally there's one on the OS namely:

HARD DRIVE-LIBRARY-APPLICATION SUPPORT-FINAL CUT PRO SUPPORT

I then trashed the file "Final Cut Pro System ID".

Then I found I could reinstall fcp correctly once again. You will find this time it will ask you for your registration number.

Good luck!

Mike H
July 02, 2005 01:35PM
thanks for all your help. i have finally resolved the issue and am now able to run fcp 4.5 and 3.1 on tiger with the latest QT. the following url explains the remedy:

[docs.info.apple.com]

Essentially it instructed me to go to my /LIBRARY/RECEIPTS and delete certain QT files, and then reinstall QT. ... What the instructions didn't tell me, probably because i had two separate different versions of FCP, was to delete all fcp versions first, then the QT RECEIPTS. And reinstall QT before loading 3.0. Interestingly, i could not get 3.0 to work, but the 3.1 installation went perfectly and worked. And the 4.0 installation and upgrade to 4.5 went like it's supposed to.

thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics