freezes on capturing

Posted by Murali Nair 
freezes on capturing
June 30, 2005 05:37AM
I am using a 4.5 version of FCP, with two fire wire Iomega harddrives of 150 GB each. But the system freezes when I try to log and capture , FCP shows the message allocating disc space..but freezes at this point. It has happened more than three times. Mine is DV to Mac G5 set up. Deck is DSR 11

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Murali Nair
Re: freezes on capturing
June 30, 2005 05:40AM
#10 Capture now makes large file, Beachball

Shane's Stock Answer #10

1) Set a limit on Capture Now. Never have that box unchecked. Set it to 60 min if you want the whole tape.

2) Do not under any circumstances run any anti-virus/filesaver software. Including Norton and Virex. Sure, Apple doles out Virex for free, but FCP doesn't cooperate with it very well.

If you absolutely feel you must keep Virex installed on your system then use Kevin's script to shut it off before you use FCP:
[discussions.info.apple.com]

3) Do not capture to your main system drive.

4) Check the format of the drive you are capturing to. It should be Mas OS Extended, jornalling off. If it isn't, copy your files from it and re-initialize it. If it is any other format, you will encounter problems. If not at first, then eventually.

For all the stock answers, click on this link:
[discussions.info.apple.com]
June 30, 2005 09:27AM
Murali, do you mean it freezes when you try to log, when you set the Scratch Disk, or do you mean it freezes during capture or Capture Now? Big difference.
Greg Kozikowski
June 30, 2005 10:07AM

Are you chaining your FireWire drives. That isn't always such a good idea. Try using just one and make sure that one has at least 10% or more free space.

Make sure you System Drive has plenty of space, too.

If nothing works, try (Stock Answer notwithstanding) disconnecting *all* your FireWire drives and capturing to the System Drive. Ideally you would be capturing to a *second* roomy internal drive. FireWire drives don't always cooperate with live video, and System Drive captures aren't the best either, but many times that can be made to work.

Koz
June 30, 2005 10:55AM
Thanks everyone.. I found what the problem was: I was uysing two hard drives, chained. One of them was not Mac OS Extended. It worked okay at the beginning, but caught up!

Thanks again.

MN
July 02, 2005 01:54PM
Ah! The old uninitialized drive problem. Makes sense. Good troubleshooting old bean.

Kevin Monahan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics