Final Cut 5 wont boot

Posted by Loren 
Final Cut 5 wont boot
June 18, 2005 04:01AM
Okay.. I just installed Tiger and Final Cut 5. I was messing around with it earlier and everything was fine.. I quit the programe and then re opened it.. except now final cut 5 will not boot.. it goes through the loading screen and crashes.. i tried rebooting the system (powerbook g4) and reinstalling fcp5.. same problem...

scary stuff.. ideas?
Re: Final Cut 5 wont boot
June 18, 2005 12:39PM
I imagine it's trying to find some third party plugins that arent there or should I say are there but FCP cant see them. That's the usual reason. Go into your plugins folder and yank out any and all thrid part filters and put them on the desktop. Then do this trick by Mark Burton

If you Control-Click on the Final Cut Pro application icon in its folder and choose 'Get Info', you will see a heading saying 'Plug-ins' near the bottom. This feature allows you to quickly install FCP compatible plug-ins which don't require their own installer.

For example these free AE plug-ins from Pete Warden just download to a folder on your desktop:
[www.petewarden.com]

You can then use this dialogue to 'Add' the plug-ins you want. Each plug-in you 'Add' is copied into the FCP application package.

The thing is its just as easy (if not easier) to move the whole folder from your desktop to the ?/Final Cut Pro Support/Plug-ins directory in the Library, however if you use this 'Get Info' window method, you can very quickly see what plug-ins are installed, you can quickly disable any plug-ins you don't need right now or which you suspect of causing issues and then re-enable them when you want them back. To disable and re-enable plug-ins you do not have to move any files around, you just change the Tick mark next to the Plug-in, the system does all the work for you.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 18, 2005 01:33PM
unforunatly i had no pluggins installed.. I checked too.

I think I just want to start from a clean slate..

how would I uninstall FCP5?

Deleting just the .app doesnt do the trick.. is there a way to actualy get rid of all its files like in windows?
June 18, 2005 01:48PM
How to uninstall

[docs.info.apple.com]

applies to 5.0 too

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 18, 2005 02:07PM
now to figure out the original problem so it doenst happen again..

it could be because i was opening a project taht used 3rd party filters.. however when it was crashing i was even opening projects that had no work done on them yet,
June 18, 2005 04:03PM
Unless the project you opened first corrupted the preferences for FCP 5, I would ask if you have done the Repair Disk Permissions after loading Tiger and after loading FCP 5 or the Studio as the case may be?
June 18, 2005 11:06PM
I ran into something similiar last week. Im running 10.3.9 but here's what I did.
Repaired permissions. Quite a few fixes were made but it didn't solve it. My boot of FC 5 would stall at loading audio filters. I too, do not have 3rd party plugins.
Had to buy Disk Warrior and rebuild my directories. That fixed it.

However............. I have episodes with Quicktime 7.01 not opening.
Go Applications, quicktime, double click and just get the spinning beach ball. The program won't come up.
July 08, 2005 09:19PM
HEllo, i found this in the web...
It really fix the problem... unplugg the M-audio

MacDaddy Oct 22nd, 2004 06:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everybody who suggested things to try to get my problem resolved, as it now is!

I figured out the culprit was my M-Audio box that was plugged in at the time (Didn't realize this at the time hehe), once I unplugged it, FCP and my project files were able to open!

I have completed my system updates and FCP updates via SWU and everything is workin' peechy keen again!!

This calls for a grinning smiley
July 08, 2005 10:27PM
I believe there are new drivers for M-audio out now.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics