missing audio files

Posted by Patrick Kofler 
missing audio files
July 11, 2005 06:01AM
Hi guys,

We're using fcp since 2000, but now there's something new and inexplainable happenig. The captured audio files disappear (not the music, but the audio parts of the files captured from he DV cassette), while the video files remain. The settings are just the same as always (audio and video files are being stored on different volumes), neither audio nor video hd's are full. So what? I've been recapturing the whole project after having lost the audio files. Now they're missing again. Has it got anything to do with some OS or QT Update?
Any suggestions?

thanx Patrick
www.helios.bz

G5 dual 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB video and 40 GB audio internal HD, 1 TB external FW 800 HD, FCP 4,5, QT Pro 7, BMD Decklink Extreme

Re: missing audio files
July 11, 2005 07:43AM
from your gear description it looks like youre sending video to one drive and audio to another? wonder if your problem might lay there. ive heard of people doing this back in the old days but to me it doesnt make sense...
July 11, 2005 08:43AM
it's specifically NOT recomended for FCP and DV media.
in fact it's been warned against many times here, and other places (even in the manual).

Maybe the new way QT7 handles audio has made this critical?

anyway, i think for starters you should stop this practice imediatley.

you might have to RE-re-capture sad smiley

nick

July 11, 2005 10:42AM
thanx guys,

yes, I'm sending audio and video to different disks. In all this years (since 2000) I've never ever had a problem with that. I understand that with S-ATA drives it doen't make a lot of sense. But until now it worked. Perhaps it's the QT Pro 7. Gonna try and tell you.

Patrick
July 11, 2005 11:54AM
I'm just wondering: What was your original impetus for the separate video/audio captures? It just seems to be an extra step, unnecessary sync work. It's so much easier to divide the two in FCP once captured in sync, rather than try to remarry them after forcing them apart.
July 11, 2005 12:03PM
i remember back in my videospiggot, videovisionstudio and early media100 days, that somewhere it was a suggested practice - remember back when this whole process was barely possible - and a 4gig "video optimized" raid was $6grand - hahahahahaha
July 11, 2005 12:20PM
> a 4gig "video optimized" raid was $6grand

Ouch, ouch. My first external FireWire drive bought in 2000 was $800 for 42GB. And in the beginning on Adobe Premiere, we used SVHS decks...and JAZ disks. $100 for a mammoth 2GB of storage!
July 11, 2005 12:35PM
yeah, anyone remember FWB sledgehammer arrays? at 24 years old i walked in and slapped down 60, $100 bills for my first 4 gig video array - that was a SCARRY F@$&ING DAY!!!!!!! and pretty well laid out my career direction for then to the present!

as an added insult, earlier this year i sold it (and the quadra840 + videovisionstudio cards) for $10 and change on ebay, just to get the boat anchor out of my closet. the system had paid for itself several times over many years ago, so it wasnt THAT painfull...
July 11, 2005 12:39PM
there's no syncing, the clip in FCP has picture and audio, they just live on 2 seperate drives.

avids like this, or used to. (maybe back in hte day when drives were slower?)
but i think it's simpler (less taxing on the CPU) for FCP to deal with them in the one place. proabably slightly more taxing on the drives, but they can handle it these days

and in particular DV prefers to have audio and video kept together

and there's other issues, too: if you dont use MM to move files around, it means double the work, and lots more chance to stuff something up.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics