Automated text insertion into FCP project

Posted by Peter 
Automated text insertion into FCP project
July 11, 2005 05:20PM
I need an automated way (using Applescript, Perl, commandline, etc) to simply add a number (say in the upper left hand corner) to each cut/clip in the timeline, so the first clip would have the number '1', the second clip would have the number '2', etc. i.e. easily identifiable shots for directors et al to refer to. Automated because as shots get added/removed over time this is not something one would want to do repeatedly in the FCP gui.

I need something ready to go, so I am hoping someone has seen a script or similar which processes an FCP project file and inserts text, so it would probably be an XML based tool...?

Thanks.
Re: Automated text insertion into FCP project
July 11, 2005 07:10PM
yes, it'd be XML based.

for those tools, check out Spherico Filmtools

[www.spherico.de]

i;ve got a feeling what you;re looking for might not exist (yet).

directors aren't so stupid they cant cope with burnt-in timecode, are they?

nick

July 11, 2005 09:00PM
> directors aren't so stupid they cant cope with burnt-in timecode, are they?

"What are those numbers? Is that the amount I get paid? The longer the movie, the more my salary? Let's make the movie eight hours long and I'll get $8 million!"

I really hope you're dealing with a short film. If it's a feature...whoa Nelly, we're talking thousands of numbers, more if you have a cut-intensive film.
July 11, 2005 10:41PM
well for a feature, you'd have slates, i hope :-)

in that case, Spherico's XML2Title is the tool.

it'll turn your clip names into text overlay.

cheers,
nick

July 11, 2005 11:20PM
I think you're working too hard to add yet another column of data.

As said above - you already have unique identifiers for each clip. Time code and reel number. These are sortable elements, can be color coded easily in FCP Bins, display can be on or off. In short - everything you need is there.

Adding the file name display from Spherico sounds like a good idea - that would be pajamas on the cat if I were organizing a long form post.

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics