Flying with Firewire

Posted by Chad 
Flying with Firewire
July 12, 2005 10:31PM
So I'm sure some of you folks have done this on a number of different occassions. And I'm also sure that all has gone well, and fw cases are built to withstand tons of pressure...but won't some of you with experience traveling with a firewire drive humor this nervous editor?

I'm flying from LA to Philadelphia for a screening (yay!) this weekend. We are projecting from dvd, which was burnt and has already been shipped...just in case.

But I plan on duplicating my project to my firewire drive so that I can have everything with me for whatever reason might pop up. The drive will stay with me in the cabin at all times strapped into a laptop bag. Will the change in cabin pressure affect my drive like it does a bottle of shampoo? What is the best way to prepare my drive for the trip? Wrap it in bubble wrap and a rosary? What about x rays and metal detectors? Is the TSA going to demand I open the thing up?

Of course the original project file and media will be getting some much needed rest on a seperate drive at home. Someone tell me everything will be ok and I won't arrive in Philly with a squashed drive.

TIA,

Chad
Re: Flying with Firewire
July 12, 2005 11:17PM
NOPE, everything will be fine - relax! ; ) i fly internationally and within the states frequently with my g4 17" powerbook and a variety of FW drives. i have a sony flight case that holds everything and i check it with no problem. i have also packed my FW drives in my suitcase with my clothes AND carried one on with me once and ive never had a single problem.

breathe.
July 13, 2005 04:05AM
My experience is identical to Wayne's; and I carry 15" PB and whatever FW drive(s) I need. No problems at all.

Kit

July 13, 2005 08:29AM
If your file's small enough, a SmartDisk FireLite drive (40-80GB, depending on which you use) sounds like just the thing in your case. I use one for transporting files. It's not fast enough for editing, but it's right sweet for moving around -- it's the size and weight of a wallet, and requires no power supply because it's bus-powered via its FireWire cable.
July 13, 2005 10:34AM
Thanks gang. Feeling better....

Greg Kozikowski
July 13, 2005 03:23PM

Most hard drives down at the actual drive level (inside the pretty case) have a really tiny hole in the metal case and a sign not to cover it up. That's to equalize the air pressure. They don't care.

On the other hand, everybody has horror tales about baggage handlers dropping packages 15 feet to the tarmac by accident.

Koz
July 13, 2005 08:04PM
Greg, can you explain "They don't care"?

Who? About what?
July 13, 2005 08:08PM
FireWire drives don't care (about air pressure)

cheers

Kit
July 13, 2005 08:09PM
FireWire drives don't care (about air pressure)

cheers

Kit

July 13, 2005 08:14PM
thanks kit. sorry for the neurosis....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics