recapture protocol for bad frame...

Posted by Frank Meek 
Hi there
I was reviewing a project I had done some time ago with footage digitized from a variety of sources, Beta SP, SVHS, etc. The program is in excess of 1.5 hours and I needed some footage for another show. I was going through the speedy "L" travels and noticed a flash frame on a segment. I obviously had been so anaesthetized by the editing back when that I had failed to see it the first thousand times around. I checked the DVCAM tape to which the footage was digitized and indeed it was there...but it was not on the original Beta frames. And, I don't think I can cover it, hide it or simply delete it as it's an instructional "action" scene.

Sooo, in that I have never done this to a finished show (DVD's are regularly sold from it), what is the drill for matching up the frames (after I re-digitize), copying the color corrector 3 way settings (the only filters) and re-inserting the "new' footage into the timeline without disturbing its neighbors, graphics and pics in the upper twenty or so video tracks, the markers and the well-filtered audio below?

Re: recapture protocol for bad frame...
July 13, 2005 10:26PM
Do you have a copy of the original project file?
July 13, 2005 11:17PM
it's not too hard at all.

as jude points out you will need the original project.

if the project was an on-line made from a Media Managed "Offline" sequnce,
simplty control click on the clip, and choose "Capture"

if it seems like you need to capture a whole tape, then you will need to use the Meida Manager
Control click on that clip, choose Media MAanger.

in MM
Dont include master clips
Create Offline,
Delete unused

name and save a new project, this will open and you'll have a timeline in there with just that clip. it'll have all the filters, etc
copy paste the clip into the original, and re-capture

then you;ll have to export your show again to a new master tape, or master file.
whetever your striking your DVD's off.

nick

Hit there
I know the drill for recapturing the original footage...what I don't know how to do is capture the footage after I RE-DIGITIZE with new timecode (the Beta stuff has TC but moving it to DVCAM changes it anyway). And as I only need about two minutes of a twenty-minute segment (I don't even remember how much of the original I captured..I have since ridded myself of unneeded baggage), the TC will differ from that at original capture to FCP. Anyway, is there a way to "match frame" or otherwise synch the new capture (from Beta>DVCAM>FCP)?

And, while I need only two minutes, it has to be EXACTLY the same two minutes, frame for frame. Then I must use the same filter settings (copy attributes?) so that the video will sync with the original...but without the bad frame, (it's not in the Beta original...only on the digitized DVCAM). Also, while I suppose I could re-master the audio, I'd prefer just getting the video to work... again, frame for frame also, of course, in sync.

Is there a guru solution for this or am looking at the old analog (ouch) days of playing the needed segment side by side with the new capture until I confirm the new capture TC. I was hoping for some shortcuts in the digital world.

And, in any case, even if the old days are back to haunt me, how do I keep the same color corrector 3 way settings and how do I apply them to the new (REPLACEd?) clip, without audio?
Wow, I'm not even sure I understand this anymore, but hopefully someone will.
July 14, 2005 12:21AM
gotcha, frank.

ok, here's what i;d do:

1 re-capture your clip from Beta.

2 you'll have to do an eye match to line up the new clip in the viewer against the clip in the timeline.

3 copy the clip in the timeline

4 do a F11 "replace edit" to replace the timeline clip with the viewer clip.
(replace gotchas: make sure the right track is targeted, if clip is linked a/v, unlink audio from the video, or lock the audio tracks)

5 control click on hte new timeline clip, choose "Paste Atributes", (or Option V)
and paste the filets, motion fx, whatever.

you might want to save a copy of the original clip with filters to somewher handy first. end of the timeline, perhaps, or better, an empty track above above the new clip.

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics