beach ball when i hit JHK keys

Posted by jasoncooper 
beach ball when i hit JHK keys
July 22, 2005 03:26PM
i have no more then 30 min files and when i put them in the viewer and hit play, rewind and fast forward keys i get the beach ball (not every time but a lot).

Then i have to force quit the program.

I have a g5 dual 2.7gig hrz and my drives are g-tech sata drives which are stripped together and are running really fast.

Why? Please help!
Greg Kozikowski
Re: beach ball when i hit JHK keys
July 22, 2005 06:11PM

The beach ball almost always means the machine is having trouble finding quality hard drive space fast and large enough to do the work. Have you been editing a lot of different material for several months?

How full is your System Drive?

OSX manages hard drives in a weird way. You can get killed by a full (99%) FireWire drive attached to the machine *even though it's not used for the production.*

Koz
July 24, 2005 06:10AM
The JKL freeze is a known bug. It's got nothing to do with hard disc stuff. I get it on a mostly empty Xraid, so it's not a drive problem.

What other gear do you have in your mac, Jason. I've got a Decklink HD card. I'm trying to narrow down where this horrible bug is coming from.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
July 24, 2005 12:58PM
ive got a DeckLink Extreme? card. My tech, who is apple certified seems to think it has to do with how long my captures are. I am capturing DVCpro 50 and i captured no more then 40 mins, but i know that when i play with the bigger clips i have issues. I feel like my computer is not working to the capacity that it could.

I have a G5 dual 2.7 gighrz. 2x 400gb internal drive, 2x g-tech sata 500 drives that are stripped together, ati radeon 9650 w/ 256gb ddr sdram, 4x1gb ram, apple cinema hd 23inch, airport, bluetooth. I also have a mackie1202 mixer, bella easy FCP pro keyboard, and kensington usb mouse.

Any thoughts from that? Could it be decklink?

Jason
July 24, 2005 06:24PM
update:

i asked blackmagic (i have a decklink extreme card) for help to see if this was one of their bugs. Here is the response i got in return:

Hi Jason,

We had that bug in our earlier beta driver (v5.0b2) but it was fixed in the latest release version.

Makes sure you're using the up-to-date drivers from our website here:

[blackmagic-design.com]

July 24, 2005 07:13PM
so i installed the new decklink driver and i think i have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll let you all know, but if you have a decklink card, make sure you have the new driver.

Jason
July 26, 2005 06:58PM
I'm a decklink user, and as far as I know I was using the latest driver. I'm on the road at the moment, but I'll check it out and see when I get back home.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics