Ass-crack management

Posted by Raz 
Raz
Ass-crack management
August 07, 2005 08:57PM
I'm finishing up a music video that's basically a montage of live shots. One of the members of the band plays naked and there are a bunch of "ass-crack" shots that need to be blurred out.

The client wants the pixelated blocks "Like on Cops" (his quote).

Now, I thought I had the filter that creates the pixelated blocks, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

I recently had to reinstall my software and I believe that I lost some of my filters. I noticed some of my After Effects filters were missing from my FCP bin as well.

My Question is:

Does anyone know how I can achieve that pixelated block effect?

Also, if it WAS an AE effect that was doing the job before, how can I get my AE plugs back into FCP.

Thanks in advance

raz

G4
FCP 4.5

Re: Ass-crack management
August 07, 2005 09:15PM
Dang! And I thought Buck Naked was dead! There's someone else taking up where he left off?

Filters go into Library>Application Support>FCP System Support>Plug-ins
Raz
August 07, 2005 09:43PM
Thanks Kevin,

I just figured that out. AND I found the filter! It's the Boris "Mosaic" filter.

Now, it's time to start blurring out some ass....

raz
August 08, 2005 03:17AM
are you planning to track the displacement of the ass for faster "zone pixelating" ?

this should be worth a tutorial on LAFCPUG
Anonymous User
August 08, 2005 03:34AM
Hell, I'll publish that. Big tutorial request.

August 08, 2005 07:11AM
Motion has a pixelate filter as well.

CHL
Raz
August 08, 2005 10:03AM
francois wrote:

> are you planning to track the displacement of the ass for
> faster "zone pixelating" ?

Nope. I was planning on developing a custom "ass-matte" for this project and possibly others.

It could come in handy...

raz

August 08, 2005 09:29PM
Too Much Too Soon has a free mosaic plug as well. You'd have to track it by hand, though. Boris is cool because you can use the pixel chooser to track the darker area of said ass crack. I heard that Canopus can do tracking/mosaic RT, is that true? That would be awesome.

I betcha John from Lyric or Nattress could whip one up that would track decently.

Kevin Monahan
August 09, 2005 12:45AM
the ass crack pluging has to be ready for next superbowl, you never know...
God, don't remind me of the drudgery of building keyframed "anonymity blur" in Avid Express-- back when they limited you to four keyframes. Holy Cow!

And they only supported Photoshop 2 filters, which were painfully slow in rendering and updating.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a speedy system of applying simple Follow-Effects like blurs and sign replacements? A SIMPLE plugin interface sort of like MovingPicture but just for identity masks and background blockouts, with some control over eases. Is there anything out there? AE, Boris, Commotion and Motion come to mind-- these are either fairly complex to learn and master or round trip workflows, or both.

When the Apple touchscreens arrive, plotting these could be a lot of fun.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set your custom layouts by pressing
Option>Windows>Arrange>Set Custom Layout.
Access your custom layouts 1 & 2 with Shift & Option-U!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com

Post Edited (08-09-05 12:56)
August 09, 2005 03:34AM
"Motion has a pixelate filter as well."

Nice one. I'd imagine that would be the easiest way to track the crack! smiling smiley

"When the Apple touchscreens arrive, plotting these could be a lot of fun."

hahaha.

- Justin Barham -
August 09, 2005 04:04PM
Nice one. I'd imagine that would be the easiest way to track the crack! smiling smiley

Nope. Motion has no tracking. YET! ;-)
I'd say Boris is the way to go for FCP'ers.
August 09, 2005 10:40PM
I never thought anyone would use those pixilation filters. I thought they just threw them in because they were cheap & easy to do. Guess it's like film scratches folks will take the dog ugliness of the effect & stylistically turn it into a graphic element. Have to admit though when I see pixilation on the screen I'm on the verge of ceasing to watch the production

Dave
August 09, 2005 10:49PM
Dave, I'm with you as far as the "F it up to make it cool" is concerned. But I think the issue here is actually legality.

- Justin Barham -
Anonymous User
August 09, 2005 11:20PM
JustinB wrote:

But I think the issue here is actually
> legality.

Legality?! More like good taste.

:-)

August 10, 2005 12:01AM
You are better off using an animated feathered masked blur... a mosaic will call extra attention to the a$$cracks (They'll look like digital hemorrhoids - unless that's what you are going for).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Raz
August 10, 2005 12:15AM
grafixjoe wrote:

> You are better off using an animated feathered masked blur... a
> mosaic will call extra attention to the a$$cracks (They'll look
> like digital hemorrhoids - unless that's what you are going
> for).

The client WANTS the mosaic. It DOES call attention to the ass-crack, but I think that's the point.

And yes Michael, it IS about taste (I'm not sure who's taste, but taste none the less)

raz

August 10, 2005 02:35AM
I think maybe the client may be doing token cencorship for an audience that finds violence & brutality more aceptable than being exposed to a bare ass. It's similar to these idiotic bleeps that are put into programs that are cover up words in the english languaage that some people can not bear to hear. It draws more attention to the words & makes the whole situation laughable like the dancing pixiilation over the harmless body part.

Neither cencorship actually works it just draws more attention to what was supposed to be being coverred up. It's one of the charms of Cinema Paradiso, all the kisses the parrish priest has the projectionist cut out of the films over the years.

Dave
August 10, 2005 10:22PM
<<I think maybe the client may be doing token cencorship for an audience that finds violence & brutality more aceptable than being exposed to a bare ass.>>

I totally agree. On the other hand, violence and brutality have been trademarks of many great works of art from the very inception of expressed human creativity. Who's to say we should censor either with any particular bias?

Back to reality; The project here is a music video, which is essentially a commercial product, however artfully constructed it may be. So if it can't get aired then it's probably not very useful. Right or wrong.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics