Ghostlines in 24p footage in FCP

Posted by maureen 
Ghostlines in 24p footage in FCP
August 15, 2005 11:55AM
hi there,

i shot in 24p (not 24p Advanced) and was told in school to capture into FCP using 2:3:3:2 pulldown capture setting. i've been editing the proj for a month (school doesn't provide monitors)...i wanted to view it on tv so after many many problems with "printing to video", I finally managed to print to video the quicktime conversion, it would not let me print to video straight from original timeline. Anyway, I took it home and watch it on tv and there were these weird "ghostlines" everywhere, it looks like a bad slow motion effect...i also saw them in the computer monitor but thought it was just the computer playback quality. Original footage does not have these ghostlines. Is there any way I can clean up the edited footage? Will it look better when i finally convert to mpeg2 for DVD studio pro or should I just re-capture everything, not using the 2:3:3:2 pulldown? is that pulldown setting even the problem? if yes, what should the capture settings be? I've never re-captured before, what is the best way to do it without deleting the original clips? And do I just paste my 40-minute project in new project using media manager...do i need to mess with my edits to arrange by reel (3 reels)?
thanks guys.....sorry for all the "rookie" questions...my project is due in a week and i'm getting really desperate!!

Re: Ghostlines in 24p footage in FCP
August 16, 2005 08:59AM
Hi Maureen,
Reading your post I'm curious as to how you were able to print to video via the QuickTime conversion. Would you list your steps? I'm having an absolute fit trying to get print to video from the timeline to work out to an HDV deck with no luck at all.

On your question why in creation would you want to introduce the dreaded pulldown?? I'm guessing your original material was shot in 24p DV? It's always been my motto whenever possible avoid the pulldown, which most likely is, what you're seeing. Are you able to toggle through the frames and count the cadence? The pulldown is very easy to identify on the computer monitor and most often in the canvas it appears to show very well.

Paul
hi Paul...
print to video...can't believe how temperamental it is....basically, i just decided to export my 40-minute timeline to a quicktime movie, it took about 11-12 minutes (did not do the mpeg2 format, that takes more than an hour). then i opened a new project, imported that quicktime movie, had to render it, took another 11-12 minutes. then i played around with A/V settings and after 3rd or 4th attempt it finally worked....BUT it didn't not print the audio!...i forgot to mixdown audio before export to quicktime...but audio can be heard in the timeline of new proj...just doesn't print to video! didn't bother to fix it....i'm eventually just gonna export it as mpeg2 and go straight to DVD--which should be a much better quality....hmmm, i wonder how difficult/easy it would be to print to video mpeg2 format. anyway, hope that helps.....thanks for the reply =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics