My capture presets have developed a problem

Posted by Julian Bowman 
Hi all,

something oddd has happened and FCP is no longer registering my camera. I discovered this when i tried to capture something and it said that "i don't have a video device selected. Please select a video device in your capture presets and try again".

Now within the audio/video settings, i do have Apple Firewire set for Video playback and Playback output but in both it says [missing] before Apple Firewire PAL. In the capture preset I have DV Pal 48 hz selected but in the info box it says WARNING: Video Device DV Video is missing.

I've turned the camera on and off, and even tried another camera. I have the camera connected to a lacie external harddrive, and have removed the cable then replaced. Shut the Mac down and restarted, but no joy.

Any thoughts as to what i may have done?

It has all been working a treat for a couple of months prior to this.

Many thanks.
Sorry,

what is also odd, is that when in the log and capture window, clicking play will activate the camera deck. It says preview disabled (but it always has).

Many thanks
Don't daisy-chain cameras with FireWire drives. Bad bad bad. Connect the camera into another port on your computer.
Consider myself scalded and my error rectified (noobs hey), still having the problem, it is unable to locate the Apple Firewire PAL external device...

i am so confused.
Looking on Apple's FCP forum, others seem to have had similar problems after upgrading to 10.4.1 and installing QT7 (which i did today).

I've now checked my hardware and it recognises the camera deck. I trashed my preferences, which made no difference, and i can import footage through iMovie.

FCP just doesn't recognise my external device...

i shall back off now, but if anyone can shed any light that would be appreciated
I'm having the same issue! Its not fun, exact same problem. PLEASE HELP US!
Call it crazy, but I fixed it!

Ok Just Put your FCP 4 install disc in, and run the install and then restart your computer.
Bam it works again.
I think something gets broken with Quicktime 7.... I hope this helps you
Nice one Matt. Just a quick couple of question, do I uninstall FCP first, or simply install over what is there? And do any projects and render files i have need to be backed up and saved elsewhere or will they be left untouched?

Jules
Matt, THANK YOU, all is well and my love affair with Apple is back on tracks.

Scarily quick and simple solution after all those hours trying to figure it out, but hey.

smiling smiley
How do I get around this problem if I don't have my FCP startup discs anymore? I.E. Don't move across the country, you lose half your stuff...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics