Mastering sound

Posted by RePete 
Mastering sound
August 25, 2005 10:23PM
What are people using to master their 2 track mixed sound for indi features? Software based plugins OR hardware based like the TC Electronics Finalizer or Focusrite MixMaster OR are people just going to a mastering studio that has the expensive gear? I'm working on 200K and 300K movies so it's gotta be cost effective. My background is music so I don't know if the mastering approach is different with movie mixes. I use Nuendo and WaveLab for audio and FCP for video.
Re: Mastering sound
August 25, 2005 11:27PM
Try Soundtrack 2. Been hearing rumblings.

I usually either do a pretty involved mix in FCP if we have no budget (having a good BG in sound) but more often than not I give an OMF of the audio to professional sound guys using ProTools.

I haven't heard of any of the items you mentioned...
August 26, 2005 12:37AM
Actually I'm not really speaking of the mixdown, but rather the mastering of the final 2 tracks. Pro studios can sweeten that baby up with stereo imaging and high end compression and limiting that will make WaveLab plugins sound like toys. Things like the stereo imaging software plugins really are toys the way they sound like phasers.
August 26, 2005 01:29AM
Talked to my friend at a major studio. BIG budget films will hire the pimps at Dolby to show up and master their sound. They've got some proprietary thing going on.
He says that the Waves L1 is used for software based mastering.
I'd still like to know if anyone is using hardware based units like UA, Avalon, TC Electronics, etc.
August 26, 2005 09:37AM
As I'm sure you know, the mastering procedure for theatrical is certainly different than for broadcast. The basic mix, the equalizing, the dolby surround, number of tracks, frame rate conversion etc etc etc.

Common wisdom says u cant touch this in an edit suite situation, whatever gear you have but rather only in a cinema sized room with video projection and all the mixing desk bells and whistles to make it perfect. You also need an operator with many years of experience to get it right.

As the man says above, far better and way, way, way far cheaper to omf your audio out and take that to the pros for your theatrical mix. Frees you up to sit back comfortably, enjoy the ride and supervise creatively.

Best,
Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics