Multiplexer error

Posted by Adam 
Multiplexer error
August 30, 2005 02:31PM
Dual 1ghz processors, g4 powermac, osX 10.2.8, 80 gig hard drive (no external drives) 512MB ram, FCP 4.1.1

Since I have began using this system (inhereted through my mentor) all 3 of my projects that I have burned to DVD (quicktime conversion, to IDVD) have continued to burn until "less than 1 minute remaining" at which point I sit patiently for 15 minuntes (longest i've waited) before cancelling, then my g4 says something derogatory like "nice going" or "you should have let your son do it" followed by "Multiplexer error." What is a multiplexer error? How do I correct this? Is IDVD a joke anyways? When I use the program I can't help but think it's something a real editor would laugh about while watching a rookie (like myself) use it. Whats a better program to use?
Thanks a bunch

Adam

Anonymous User
Re: Multiplexer error
August 30, 2005 02:41PM
That error means you dont have enough room on your hard disk to complete the encode. No problem with iDVD here. You need more space on your hard drive.

August 30, 2005 03:28PM
I have different experiences from Mike -- back when I used iDVD, I'd get freezes and errors like these even if I had 100GB of storage space left. That's why I gave up on it. A couple of things that can help with iDVD: Don't save your project file after encoding (subsequent re-encodes get glitchy), back up your project once you've finished the design portion, don't try to pre-encode your media into MPEG-2 first.
Greg Kozikowski
August 30, 2005 03:30PM

<<< it's something a real editor would laugh about>>>

We use iDVD for quicky demo reels that don't warrant enough time or energy to completely author a DVD in DVDSP.

Koz
August 30, 2005 05:13PM
Pros use iDVD as well, though you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody who's serious about DVD design using it. Like Koz says, lots of people use it for quickie outputs, though I'd argue that iDVD is so unstable that it sometimes ends up costing you even more time (for example, iDVD *loves* freezing up 17 per cent into encoding). I've never had my DVD Studio Pro freeze up during a burn, and if you want bare-bones, you can always create a single-track DVD with no menus in DVD Studio Pro.
Anonymous User
August 30, 2005 05:30PM
I love iDVD for quick and dirty burns Always served me nicely. I am sure this error is one of hard drive space though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics