my apartment is warm

Posted by rgdfilms 
rgdfilms
my apartment is warm
August 30, 2005 04:52PM
I have no air conditioner and 2 computers always running, as well as hard drives, a monitor and speakers. Would I benefit from buying an AC unit ? Is it bad to keep all this equipment running in this warm/hot condition. It gets pretty warm in my place during the day.
Re: my apartment is warm
August 30, 2005 05:28PM
make sure there's ventilation space behind the computers and hardware.
do you have any fans? sorry stupid question but...
August 30, 2005 06:38PM
dude, where the heck do you live that you can exist without AC?!?!?!?!?

i would DEFINITELY buy a window ac unit just to lower the teperature in there...

sheesh, bring in a powerbook and you'll be able to smelt ore in there!
rgdfilms
August 30, 2005 06:59PM
I live in poor town USA Los Angeles.
August 30, 2005 07:06PM
man, how do you pull that off? you must have reptilian DNA or something.

i would think that any computer problem you run into might be able to be blamed on overheating - youre a tougher man than i am!
August 30, 2005 10:21PM
As long as you live south of the Hollywood Hills, west of the 110 Fwy or south of the 5 Fwy, a fan should be sufficient.
But, if you live in the SF Valley, SG Valley or anywhere east of Pomona....get some AC
August 31, 2005 10:35PM
Or schedule your edits for when the Santa Ana comes through. LOL

One thing about AC in an older place tho-- watch out for voltage dips. You should be on an UPS-- a battery backup brick with outlets and line conditioning circuitry (AKA Automatic Voltage Regulation.) This has saved my bacon-- and my delicate machinery like the deck, hard drives and motherboard, several times. In a blackout (they weren't really caused by Grey Davis' apathy, you know; that was just an excuse for the Repubs to hijack the state--they were caused by conniving operator-suppliers, some of whom are in jail now) you will have a few minutes to save and shut down.

Whoops... was I being political again??? I don't know how that came out.

A fan or two may be a good alternative. You don't want to be stepping in and out an AC-cooled apartment into summer weather too many times anyway. You get sick. Can't edit that groundbreaking feature when you're sick.

- John Edwards
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
August 31, 2005 10:46PM
damn loren, youre just blowing your rhetoric everywhere tonight arent you?

keep in mind there are a few dyed-in-the-wool rebubs here who choose to keep their politics to themselves and err to the side of playing nice.

but then agian, what do i expect from a cat who shamelessly self promotes himself with a promotional sig at the end of every post...
August 31, 2005 10:57PM
rgdfilms,

That's the most ridiculous question I ever heard. I can't believe what I am hearing. Don't you know that HEAT is bad for computer gear??? Not only do you need to cool the room, but get the gear off the floor (I'll bet your CPU's are on the floor) and don't slam them up against a wall so that air can't flow through the box.

HEAT = BAD

Of course, you need an A/C unit. If you have one unit in the whole house, it should be in the room with the computers. Then again, my computers are my bread & butter and they feed my family so I take extra-great care of them. I don't know how important your units are to you.

Would you drive your car without antifreeze? It wouldn't last long of you did.

That's my 2¢

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 31, 2005 11:10PM
As I said, Wayne, pulling your chain. Sorry, I got my prescription refilled. I'm feeling fine now, and the fan is on.

[but then agian, what do i expect from a cat who shamelessly self promotes himself with a promotional sig at the end of every post..]

Oh, really now, that's an edu-sig. It's a total win-win. If I can't impart a worthwhile tip while shilling, I don't shill. Entirely up to you how much value out of it! But it costs you nothing.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Paste Overwrite- Command-V.
Paste INSERT- Shift- V!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
August 31, 2005 11:18PM
cheers loren, i'll shut up now. my emotions are just a tad frayed in the last few days with all this situation being so close to home.
September 01, 2005 01:43AM
I think the emotions have been running a little high in here. Let's try to remember, we've got enough pain caused by the world that we don't need to inflict any on one another, OK?

With a G5, the lower the (habitable) temperature, the better. Heat is indeed bad for both video equipment and computers. You should rest your CPU in a ventilated spot, where heat can dissipate.

> That's the most ridiculous question I ever heard.

Play nice, Joe, OK? The only ridiculous thing is if a person doesn't know something, and is too full of him/herself to ask.
September 01, 2005 04:10AM
Loren Miller wrote:

>(they weren't really caused by Grey Davis'
> apathy, you know; that was just an excuse for the Repubs to
> hijack the state--they were caused by conniving
> operator-suppliers, some of whom are in jail now)

WOW!!!!!! you are exactly like every other weasel democrat because you use any means to bash on republicans for no reason i was about a year ago talking to my dad about why dems have so many anti republican (mostly anti bush) websites (moveon.org) organizations etc... and why they bash republicans on a personal level all the time and the republicans don't (feel free to give me examples you will have to dig deep because if they exist they are far and few between, but the dems on the other hand it's a daily occurance) any ways my dad said it's because they have no class and the fact that you bring up politics so much makes me believe what he said more and more.

P.S. in the forum about the hurricane i said i respect you but sorry after reading this post i take it back i have absolutely no respect for someone who lies yes lies hummm "hijack the state" it seems like i've heard that somewhere oh yea i have from every other pinhead democrat that thinks that because the republicans won an election it must be rigged.

Sean

September 01, 2005 07:30AM
sean, hey man i appreciate you standing up for those of us on the right (im sure we are the majority here - ha ha). but man this just isnt the place. nor the time.

i think youre taking it a bit too personally.

i personally appreciate your point but this just isnt the place for it

respect to all - (yes even loren - ha ha) wG
September 01, 2005 01:18PM
I'm not taking anything personal i just don't like when they lie about crap and i am the kind of person to tell them. Any ways it's good th hear there are other um... normal..... ah well lets just say other republicans smiling smiley

Thanks,

Sean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics