Illustrator files

Posted by Ryan Tarrant 
Illustrator files
February 23, 2006 03:32PM
I am using Adobe Illustrator to make some simple graphics. I want to bring these graphics into FCP with an alpha background.

I am currently making my graphics in Illustrator. Then opening them up in PhotoShop and saving them as a Photoshop file. I then bring this Photoshop file into FCP.

This way works. However it is not the most efficient way of working. Is there a better way to get Illustrator files into FCP?

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Illustrator files
February 23, 2006 05:16PM
You could export a PNG with alpha channel enabled by using the "Save for Web" option from the illustrator.

Personally, I like the PNG than the PSD format. Sometime, I even using Firework to create vector graphic directly. FCP love it most=)

Antonio

Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 05:36PM
Is Firework open source, Antonio?

I'm looking for an open source program that can open Illustrator EPS files.

It's the only thing I use Illustrator for. Seems silly to me to buy a program only to use to open up other people's files and re-save them as something else.

If I was artistic and had a use for Illustrator's wonderful full compliment of tools, of course I'd own it. For my uses, though, it seems silly to. I'd rather spend that money on filters!

February 23, 2006 06:28PM
I wish I could remember the nameof it-- a thrd-party app which enabled import of Illustrator .ai and .pdf files to video!!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Place and edit Marker labels immediately with M-M !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 06:33PM
I've found one called KIllustrator....but I can't actually FIND it to download it. It's open source, so it's not like I shouldn't be able to find it!

If anyone thinks of anything else, I'm all ears!!

Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 06:49PM
Ampede has a cool tool that does this my forgetful people

[www.ampede.com]

February 23, 2006 07:06PM
That's the outfit! Very sharp, Mike. They fill a useful niche market.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Place and edit Marker labels immediately with M-M !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 07:14PM
KIllustrator has been changed to Kontour. KIllustrator is a very old old old name for the product. Goes to show. My source is a very old old old source for a graphics guy....

Still can't find Kontour, though!

Maybe it's had a name change, too!

I'll keep looking. Or I'll break down and buy CS2. This might not be worth the hassle!

My biggest problem is that the file has a white background. I need to get the illustrations off the white background. Sheesh. You ask for one small thing...

Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 07:20PM
...just to clarify...my "Sheesh" comment was directed towards my client.

I'm very happy with the answers I've gotten to my question here. T'ain't no "small thing"!!

February 23, 2006 08:06PM
hey deb, if you want you can send me your file and ill take care of it for you...
Anonymous User
February 23, 2006 11:21PM
Thanks, Wayne! I really appreciate it!

However, my husband is now home from San Diego with his laptop, and he has CS2, so I'm covered!

Anonymous User
February 24, 2006 08:46AM
Just to wrap this up...the files I got from the Illustrator guy were PC files. I asked him to send me PSDs instead.

GIMP did not like those, either. GIMP opened the Illustrator files as a flattened image. It wouldn't open the PSDs at all. Neither would GIMPShop.

I was able to open them in PS on a Mac and re-save them. Now GIMP will open the PS files and retain the layers.

So I'm thinking it's that PC PS layer structure thing that imports PC-originated layered PSDs as flattened images, but Mac-originated layered PSDs as a sequence with the layers intact.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that GIMP is a great app to use if you're self-contained. Since many of the PSDs I use originate from outside my office, GIMP and/or the K-Apps aren't the best tools for me since I have no control over the elements as they come in.

However, since I haven't found Kontour yet, I may still have an option. If Kontour can read PS and EPS files and retain layers, then there's still hope!

But I'm not placing any bets on it, either!

Anonymous User
February 24, 2006 11:49AM
...and an interesting addition.

They guy I originally emailed wasn't actually involved with this process. He just passed the files along. He knew the Illustrator artist worked on a PC. What he didn't know was that someone else in his office had done the conversion to PSD for us, and they were on a Mac. So all the files had been opened on the Mac and saved as layered PSD files.

This is getting weirder!

What I didn't ask was what version of PS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics