Andalisian Horses

Posted by Jonathan Ames 
Andalisian Horses
September 19, 2005 04:28PM
I'm in the middle of a documentary on the Andalusian horse and its history and need some footage. I am new to the user group and not only in the middle of the documentary but also in the middle of making the jump from Premiere to FCP. I don't know how bright that is but after I saw the difference in products, I had to make a decision when Pro Max was about to start building my new machine so I made the switch and I'll see how it goes. At any rate, I'm looking for footage depicting 1550 - 1700 A.D Spanish nobility; principally King Phillip II in government, on horseback, in the military... any and all of these settings. Believe me, if it isn't depicting King Phillip, no one will know the difference. It could be King Bob for all I care just as long as it looks like Spanish Nobility. Think Christopher Columbus/King Ferdinand/Queen Isabella stuff. Gold dubloons, the calvary and pirates. By the way, Happy Pirate Day whatever that is!

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Jonathan
Re: Andalisian Horses
September 19, 2005 04:45PM
Was that a Big THUD! - I heard you landing on a MAC?

What made you change platforms and NLE's in the middle of the stream, so to speak?

Since there weren't any cameras back in the 1500's it is possible there is no footage - unless, of course it was a reinactment! I would look around the group that does the History channel, for starters. Same folks who do the Discovery Channel and others, I believe.

And, if your in the middle, where is the beginning coming from?

:-)
September 19, 2005 04:59PM
Hi.

A zoo or a wild park and a museum sometimes helps, some close-ups and you're done.
I live in Portugal and usually i go to Huelva or Sevilla but not in this moment.
I would have no problem in shooting some footage and send it to you.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
September 19, 2005 05:08PM
It's my understanding that FCP does so much more than Premiere that the switch is well worth it. I have a new machine that was built for Windows and Premiere Pro sitting at ProMax and left a message for them to call me back to possibly do the switch over to FCP. All of my experience is with Premiere and Windows. Why do you ask? I'm always open to suggestions. As to the "middle" question, what I mean is that I have already shot alot of the principle photography for the script and there are sections that call for these types of footage. The History channel is a great recommendation except that I don't know anyone over there and they'd probably charge an arm and a leg for the use of the footage. This documentary is for the Foundation for the Pure Spanish Horse which can be found at [www.andalusianfoundation.com]. The proceeds fropm the DVD's sale will go to the preservation of that foundation so it's all for charity and, to be quite honest, I already have a ton of my own money and time in this. That's why I thought there might be someone out there that has done a Spanish History piece before and has the footage hanging around their studio.
Anonymous User
September 19, 2005 05:25PM
I'd just google Andalusian horse and go to their next show. Probably lots of footage out there on these horses.

[00443c3.netsolhost.com]

September 19, 2005 05:31PM
Actually, your offer is quite kind. I need footage of the Spanish Department of Defense where the Cría Caballar is kept, any footage of the Royal Stables in Cordoba and any footage of mares with their foals in a field in addition to the "ancient" footage. The vast majority of the Andalusians here are kept on dirt and pastures are few and far between. I understand that there are quite a few stud farms in every corner of the country so any footage you could send would be appreciated and of course I'd be happy to compensate you for any expenses you incur. Please e-mail me at jlames@laepd.us.
September 19, 2005 05:33PM
Actually, that's where alot of my original footage has come from, last weekend at the IALHA and the weekend before at the PRE in Santa Barbara. What I need is "old world" stuff.
September 19, 2005 06:18PM
Hi James.

Check your email.

Some photos of Allambra in Granada that i tooke with my Nokia.
They are not so good in size but i hope that will help you.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
September 19, 2005 07:10PM
Thank you, Rui. Did you receive my other e-mail?
September 19, 2005 07:37PM
How about going to the library or someone's personal library on the history of the horse and contacting the publisher for permission to shoot the stills?

Or maybe do a search like this [fficial&start=20&sa=N" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" >images.google.com.au]
and ask the webmasters where they got these pictures.

I think that there may be a coin that depicts Phillip on one side and a horse on the other too - maybe a coin dealer would have a picture?
September 19, 2005 07:45PM
We have the stills but we need video. The coin idea is GREAT!! Thanks.
Jonathan
September 19, 2005 07:47PM
<<I'm looking for footage depicting 1550 - 1700 A.D Spanish nobility; principally King Phillip II in government, on horseback, in the military... any and all of these settings. Believe me, if it isn't depicting King Phillip, no one will know the difference. It could be King Bob for all I care just as long as it looks like Spanish Nobility. Think Christopher Columbus/King Ferdinand/Queen Isabella stuff. Gold dubloons, the calvary and pirates.>>

Obviously, you're not going to get a lot of "footage" from that period (as it was before film.) You're looking for stills of paintings. Either that or reenactments. We do historical stuff sometimes. If you need, email me and I can find out where our archival people go. I'm sure it's not going to be free though.

- Justin Barham -
September 19, 2005 07:50PM
Thanks. Being new to the group, I don't know where I'd come up with your e-mail address. Mine's jlames@laepd.us. And yes, I'm looking for re-enactment footage.
Jonathan
Greg Kozikowski
September 19, 2005 10:05PM

<<<I have a new machine that was built for Windows and Premiere Pro sitting at ProMax and left a message for them to call me back to possibly do the switch over to FCP.>>>

Those words suggest strongly that you're planning on keeping the machine and just loading Final Cut. I think FCP only runs on the Mac platform, so you'd be changing *everything*.

OSX isn't Windows, either.

Have you ever touched a fire-breathing Mac running the latest FCP? In your case it would be like walking into a strange machine shop. "OK. Where's the drill press?"

But some of the rest of the system is going to be very different........

Koz
September 19, 2005 10:37PM
That's what I'm hearing, It's starting to sound like changing horses in the
> middle of a stream may not be such a good idea. The transition to Premiere
> Pro may be eqasier for the time being despite the benefits of the
> "fire-breathing dragon".
September 19, 2005 10:39PM
And I'm now hearing that Premiere Pro has emulated FCP so well that they may be on-par. Have you Heard any of this?
September 20, 2005 12:10AM
"Believe me, if it isn't depicting King Phillip, no one will know the difference. It could be King Bob for all I care just as long as it looks like Spanish Nobility."

Did you say: documentary, or mockumentary?
If the first one, here's my rule number one: Don't ever underestimate the intellingence of your viewers. You'll hear from some of them. Watch out for Spaniards.

And make sure you know the difference between caballos andaluses and other equines.

Alberto

====================================================================
"Prefiero pasar como ignorante cuando pregunto lo que ignoro, que pasar
como ignorante el resto de mi vida".
- A. Hauffen.
====================================================================
September 22, 2005 09:47PM
Jonathan,

I did some checking and it seems that we generally get stills from places related directly to the subject. Museums etc. Sometimes from NARA ( [www.archives.gov] ,) which is free. Most of our reenactments are original footage. But do contact some stock houses. Google for stock footage or try la411.com

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics