How can i view a dpx file?

Posted by hoss sarbaz 
How can i view a dpx file?
October 02, 2005 03:09AM
I'm new to the dpx file thing.......

I have a dpx video files but don't know how to view them anyone please help.

Thanks!
isnt that usually for scanned film?
Re: How can i view a dpx file?
October 02, 2005 03:30AM
Your right I just found this out: DPX "was developed several years ago to support the transfer of uncompressed images between telecine machines. It was later used for synthetic image file transfers.

Does anyone have means by which to help me out with this our delivery is tomorow.....

It's a 3 min music video and we had it color corrected and such but got stuck with dpx files.......
October 02, 2005 06:06AM
This sounds good - quicktime DPX component.

[www.cineon.com]
Mark Burton
October 02, 2005 04:40PM
DPX is a bitmap type image. They usually come as 10bit Logarithmic RGB image sequences from a film scanner such as a Spirit or Northlight. They have a basic header which can store data such as position in sequence, TC, reel number, keycode and many other image and SMPTE specific data.

What is your final delivery format - film or video? Where is this going - theatre, broadcast, DVD etc? DPX files are commonly used for digital intermediate work(and VFX work) - offline edit is scanned from original neg usually at 3k-4k and interpolated down to 2k for conform (full quality VFX shots added here), grade and film out to 35mm.

Some of the more commonly available tools to view DPX/Cineon:

Photoshop (single)
Combustion (sequence)
Shake (sequence)
After Effects (sequence)
Graphics Converter (single)

To convert to QT:

After Effects (your choice)
Graphics Magick (command line - single frame)
PFPlay (sequence and conform)
SequencePublisher (command line - limited QT support)
Kona DPXtoQT (uses Kona 10 bit RGB QT codec)
Framelink (need a Decklink card)

Paul Boots has produced DPX and Cineon QT components but I don't think they work in QT 7.0 at the moment. He is working on this and upping the limited 8bit support and as you can see he and Andreas Keil are working on a new DPX app which will revolutionize this whole area of DPX / QT / FCP.
[filmtools.bootsmade.com]
[www.spherico.com]

You could also try these two:
[www.salonsoft.com]
[www.mactcp.org.nz]

For now it sounds like you need to get your frames into a format you can handle - but you need to be careful when it comes to converting log to lin. Time to do some reading - if your files have already been color corrected/graded, you need to be careful as they will have been corrected according to a chosen LUT and you may need to stay at 10bit.

Do some Googling and there's lots to read on Stu's site.
[prolost.blogspot.com]
[movies.groups.yahoo.com]

Good luck
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics