uncompressed 10 bit capture cards

Posted by Phil 
uncompressed 10 bit capture cards
October 14, 2005 09:16AM
I have to get to the bottom of this HD issue. Can a G5 have Blackmagic 8 bit for digi beta and 10 bit for HD running in tandem. We have an 8 bit card that has many HD settings in the preferneces. A technition told me that a Balckmagic uncompressed 8 bit card has limited 10 bit capability. All terrestrial TV is going digital here, the BBC is going fully digital, they have installed FCP as the new inhouse editing system. What is the way forward? I ask after reading Wayne Granzins HD querie with trepidation.
Re: uncompressed 10 bit capture cards
October 14, 2005 09:36AM
The BlackMagic HD Pro single link card - listed at $999.00 retail will do both SDI DigiBeta 10 bit and 4:2:2 HD 10 bit capture.

Their $1499.00 card goes full 4:4:4 dual link 12 bit HD plus SDI SD at 10 bit.

Even their $599.00 card does most of this except the additional audio features.

Check out their specs at [www.decklink.com]

Post Edited (10-14-05 07:36)
October 14, 2005 10:23AM
Thanks John...Well, the debate rages on - a highly rated company I deal with here in the UK does not recommend Blackmagic cards - he says they are not mac compatible which is wierd because I'm using one right now with no problem. He recommends the AJA Kona LH card for uncompressed 8/10 bit.
October 14, 2005 10:35AM
Did you ask them to explain WHY they do not recommend Decklink cards? Perhaps it is that they don't make as much money off the sale of a Decklink card as the AJA Kona, or perhaps they are not a Decklink reseller? They work great in MAC computers.

I would like to know why as well!
October 14, 2005 10:45AM
Hi John, the place is called Jigsaw, they are a decklink reseller and I did ask because as I said - I use a Blackmagic decklink and it works just fine for 8 bit...and all he said was "they're cheap" and "we have had so many returned"...it is a bit like the Avid/Final Cut Pro debate...here Avid use brute force in the market place and follow FCP movement the way the US intelligence service follows Al Quada...regards Phil in London
October 14, 2005 04:35PM
Never heard of any issues with Decklink cards and macs. They work great. IMHO, they're better engineered than the Kona cards. Try A K2 and Kbox and a long run to your machine room - oh, you can't because the SDI is out of spec.... Oops.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics