Kept Getting a Restart Prompt When I Render

Posted by Sasori781 
Kept Getting a Restart Prompt When I Render
October 23, 2005 09:54PM
Hello all.. I have a problem when I render on 4.5. Whenever I attempt to render my timeline, I get an automatic prompt to restart the computer, and theres no way out of it. What exactly is happening and how do I correct this specific problem?

I'm trying to make some sense out of this problem because I recently got my powerbook back from a friend of mine who borrowed it.. thanks..
Re: Kept Getting a Restart Prompt When I Render
October 23, 2005 10:50PM
Whoa, that sounds like a major kernel-panic situation you got there. Something's seriously wrong with your computer if you get those on a very regular basis.

Dump FCP preferences and repair permissions first. See what that does.

What are you hardware specs?
Also ask your friend what he used the Powerbook for.

How do invoke Render? menu or keyboard? Might be a special command invoked with Command-R or Option-R, set by another user.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Apply default Video Transition: Command-T.
Apply Default AUDIO Transition: Command-Option-T !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
October 24, 2005 03:34AM
Thanks derek. The advice worked.

The situation actually happened just last night as I was trying to render a whole sequence. I did exactly what derek instructed which was dump the following files:

com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist
Final Cut Pro 4 Preference file
Final Cut Pro v POA Cache

I had a bitch of a time looking for them so i just ran the find tool to look for it. Its pretty scary seeing that I had my old preference file for final cut express (i was using that before going to pro). After that, i repair permissions through using the disk utility.

For now, what should I do to further prevent this type of situation? This progression stopper was a great panic-attack.. -_-.. When I started again, all my preferences were reset to default settings and everything.. Should I be aware of those type of things happening when I customize my settings?
October 24, 2005 11:35AM
download and use "FCP Rescue"

[www.apple.com]

this will backup your preferences, and when the time comes for you to trash them again (which it will) you can use this to chuck out the corrupt ones, and replace them with hte back up.

very cool.

this version is for FCP5, but it says you can contact the publisher (Anders Holk) for previous versions.
try him at:
fcprescue@andersholk.com

other wise there are ways to do the same thing manually in this article:

[www.lafcpug.org]

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics