LCD Burn?

Posted by Jon 
Jon
LCD Burn?
October 20, 2005 09:12PM
iMac G5 20"
2.0 GHz

Being an editor, I keep FCP open for large amounts of time, sometimes hours upon hours.

I just noticed today that my desktop had lines running through the middle of it that matched perfectly with the windows in FCP. They won't go away with a restart, and look to be permanent.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If so, is it in fact permanent?

Thanks in advance.

Re: LCD Burn?
October 20, 2005 09:35PM
Are they two thin horizontal lines on a trinitron monitor? These are actually wires in the monitor.

If it's not this it is possible that you have a burn in, depending on your monitor type. Not all that likely with a fairly new monitor though.

Here's a nice example pic of a trinitron technology type wire.

[computer.howstuffworks.com]

Post Edited (10-20-05 19:39)

Jon
October 20, 2005 09:43PM
No, I'm using the built in screen. It's the new iMac.
Jon
October 20, 2005 09:44PM
These are definitely FCP lines too. Like I said, they match perfectly with the programs windows.
October 20, 2005 09:48PM
Oh sorry, I missed that it was LCD. Burn in on LCD is not a common thing... what about this - if you move your hd icon, is there burn in behind that?

Is your imac a first generation g5? There is this ..

[www.apple.com]
October 21, 2005 08:04AM
A true LCD monitor can not experience burn in as a CRT can. Any of the Apple monitors are true LCD so your problem must be something else.

LCD uses light emitting diodes that are turned off and on as needed. There is no interleaving flicker either using LCD
Jon
October 22, 2005 12:22AM
It seems like it's occuring on and off now. The lines are definitely there though.
October 23, 2005 04:18AM
I've seen this on my Cinema Display as well. Not just horizontal lines, the whole squarish shapes of the viewer/canvas windows, faint, but definitely there: seemingly "burned in" and visible when I switch the screen to play something else - such as full screen video.

Jon
October 24, 2005 02:18PM
Exactly what I mean. I actually turned my Energy Saver off (per Larry Jordan) and that is when the issue started occuring. Try turning it back on, and putting your system to sleep (or turn it off) as often as possible. Also minimize FCP when you're not using it.
October 25, 2005 06:02AM
i hate waking up from sleep.

my computer does too smiling smiley

i like using a screen saver.

been using "Holding Pattern" for over a year now.

[www.idle-time.org]

it never stops impressing people.

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics