time code breaks

Posted by Lansford B 
time code breaks
November 03, 2005 10:08AM
I am new to your group and i hope you have a solution for me. I am new to FCP 5 and am having trouble caturing video. FCP tells me it has detected time code breaks where there are none. I have been editing with Media100 for years without problems. I wanted to check Final Cut and can't get past the first segment. I am running a dual G5 with an outboard raid. My signal comes from a Sony DSR-80 thru a matrix switcher to an AJA LA box and into the Mac via firewire. The Boston Users Group had a thread running in July describing this exact problem but I saw no one with a solution except for changing the settings to warn after capture. They tested out various equipment and settings just like I did. It seemed to be an FCP 5 problem. have any of run into this problem and what do you do about it? I would appreciate your help. On this project I went backk to Media100 and the capture went slick as a whistle. Thanks
Anonymous User
Re: time code breaks
November 03, 2005 10:47AM
Trash your preferences and try again. And don't capture from very beginning of tape. That usually solves bogus TC break warnings. This assumes you are absolutely sure there are no TC breaks

November 03, 2005 11:05AM
Michael, thanks for your reply. i have already trashed the preferences twice along with the com.apple fcp plist, the prefeneces, the cashe and obj preferences and it made no difference. I have "Safe Booted" my machine and repaired the permissions also to none effect. I never have captured from the very start of a tape because of pre-roll issues. I do not try to capture over breaks caused by camera stops. I have rolled the tape frame by frame and there are no breaks in the timecode yet FCP keeps telling there are breaks detected. What else am I missing?
Anonymous User
November 03, 2005 11:45AM
I assume you tried the DSR-80 deck with the Media 100 and all was well? Otherwise I'd try another deck to see if maybe it IS the deck. Obviously its not the tape.

November 03, 2005 12:30PM
Yes, I did use the Media100 and all was well. I took another tape and recorded
a new segment for testing in my camera and I got the same timecode breaks. I don't have another controlable deck that I can put in the loop easily. I have no reason to think the deck is suddenly sending out bad code just after I loaded FCP5.
Can you think of any other reason I need to look at? I am certainly not the only person having the same problem. The Boston group has had lots of posts about the timecode errors. Unfortunately they can't pin it on anyything other than the upgrade to FCP5. One of them said FCP had this same problem a couple years ago with an upgrade but did not say what they did about it. I have posted a note on their site as well. I am hoping they will reply.
November 03, 2005 04:00PM
I don't see in your posts how the deck is controlled. Do you have deck control via Firewire or are you using external RS 422 control?

Which ever way you are doing it, may I suggest that you try the other?

-V
November 03, 2005 04:19PM
Yes, thank you but I did switch from 422 to firewire and back and it made no difference. i thought this was the fix when I had 3 successful captures but then the fourth and so on had the timecode break errors or the Out Point would be ignored as if it was not there. The tape just kept going.
November 03, 2005 05:35PM
Did you try cleaning the deck?
November 04, 2005 07:28AM
No, but I will do that right away and see if that makes a difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics