THE problem(s) with Media Manager

Posted by craig seeman 
THE problem(s) with Media Manager
November 11, 2005 10:09AM
There are things about Media Manager that bug me. I'll preface this that I have used Avid Media Composer for more than a decade before moving to FCP

1) It's POORLY organized. If you HAVE TO make clips independent for it to work properly it should either:
a) do it automatically
b) automatically duplicate the sequence and then do it
c) give you the choice to do the above WITHIN Media Manager

2) Handle Freeze Frames and Speed Changes properly

3) Media Manage clips/projects that are OFFLINE

4) Handle Nested Squences

Are there workarounds? Youbetcha, but they add time to the process and increase the risk of operator error.

BTW I've heard there are folks who've exported XML and have used that. Heck if that works (haven't tried it myself) then build that into Media Manager as a better work flow

- I posted this on another forum but thought it might be good to post here for your gander. Not looking for workarounds, I know many of them, just think we need to raise awareness and keep letting Apple know.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Re: THE problem(s) with Media Manager
November 11, 2005 11:33AM
I'd love to see an article dedicated to the current problems of media manager, for the latest version of FCP. I tried it once to consolidate and it freaked me out. I have confidence in Avid. Consolidation works wonderfully on it, at least from my experience. I have 6 drives I'd love to whittle down to one and free up space, but the fear of losing media now keeps me from trying it.

Also maybe someone could post one link for us to tell Apple to step up.

Barrett Taylor
November 11, 2005 12:48PM
I have much to say but wanted to start with something succinct

Here's the Apple Feedback Link

[www.apple.com]

Post Edited (11-11-05 10:55)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Indeed, Media Manager's behavior doesn't yet compare to Avid's media management, but it's one of the last FCP frontiers... along with keyboard commands to access all those damned TABBED WINDOWS....

But Apple's listening, don't fear.

FWIW, MM will obediently duplicate a project and media when you choose those settings and you can deposit the consolidate to a separate drive or volume, and it delivers a nice crisp slimdown sequence, after you invoke the magic... been a while since I've used it, I've forgotten the chants.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 keytip:
Toggle Link Enable with Shift-L!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
November 11, 2005 04:37PM
> But Apple's listening, don't fear. <

Media Manager blows. It's an embarrassment. I mean, can you imagine the FCP meetings where the Media Manager Group gave their prezos?

The FCP design team might be listening, bless their hearts, but, if you consider the path we've been led down from v1 to v5+, they only follow orders from marketing; they are not empowered to consider user input in the least.

Umm, sorry, strike that. They do not consider THIS user's input.

bogiesan
November 11, 2005 10:32PM
Media Manager, Apple's crazy uncle they hide in the attic.

You can Apple Drag a squence and you'll get the original clips but Media Manager can't handle a nest.

You have to make clips Independent but there's no way to do that within Media Manager.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
November 12, 2005 12:40AM
You have to make clips Independent but there's no way to do that within Media Manager.

That's the strangest thing, IMO. It's like "a secret" to know that trick, so you can't trust intuition. I'm wondering, when would you NOT want to make the clips independent. I can't think of a situation.

Kevin Monahan
Not too late to take my class in LA! Walk ins welcome.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics