editing 30 fps footage in 24 fps project

Posted by Vince 
I'm working on a documentary that was largely shot in 24fps advanced mode (on a Panasonic DVX 100A camera.) I also plan to incorporate some 30 fps footage (that was shot on a Canon XL1,) and am concerned about how best to convert the 30 fps footage for use in the 24 fps project.

At what point in the FCP5 process do I need to convert the 30 fps to 24 fps? I've been capturing it as 30 FPS footage. Do I need to convert this footage to 24 fps before adding any clips to my project's timeline? If so, what's the best way to go about this? I opened one of my 30 FPS captures in Compressor, but could not see anyway to simply convert it to 24 fps using that program.

Thanks...
FCP 5 can handle most types of footage. I am assuming that your sequence settings are set to 23.98 so when you import you 30fps footage it will need to be rendered in order to see it in the timeline. Output should not be a problem as long as you do a complete render at the end of the project.
Re: editing 30 fps footage in 24 fps project
November 10, 2005 11:51AM
normal 29.97fps NTSC doesn't convert well to 24p playback if you let FCP do it though.... You get jumps and stutters.

If it's 30p progressive footage, there's not that much that can be done. Perhaps you can use cinema tools to slow it (conform) to 23.98fps, it will look good, but run slow.

or

if it's normal 60i NTSC (not any of that frame mode stuff) then my Standards Converter will do a great job of making 24p from it. Get the demo at www.nattress.com

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Thanks, Graeme,

I guess I'll see if I can live with the 30 fps footage for now, and then look into doing something or other with cinema tools.

Will also keep your url handy!

Vince
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics