AUDIO Normalization

Posted by Luis 
AUDIO Normalization
November 23, 2005 10:52AM
I would like to run my final project threw an Audio compressor/normalization
something that will fix my high peaks and raise my lows to a moderate level.

I apologize for not expressing myself properly to the audio world but I hope you understand what I mean. Can this be done in FCP I know I can in STP but I dont have that yet.

I have tried to find a filter in Audio but have not been successful I know I can go in by hand and fix everything but I have over 100 interviews that I have to output to QT then to a DVD and they all need help in one form or another.

Thank you for any tips that you may give me.

FCP 4.5
OSX 10.3.9
Dual 2 G5 3.5gigs ram
DVDSP3
ron
Re: AUDIO Normalization
November 23, 2005 02:27PM
Luis...
I have this problem all the time. So I use the compressor/limiter that's in the audio effects bin. I made a "favorite" version of it with the following settings which are usually a good start for any kind of production audio:

Threshold -20
Ratio 4 (That's 4 to 1)
Attack 5 milsec.
Release 20 milsec.

The only thing I ever adjust is the threshold - depending on the digitized level of the clip.

By the way...likewise...I have a "favorite" version of the 3 band equilizer which helps out a lot of audio:

100 0
5K 5
10K 10

Basically I drop both of these onto almost all the production audio as a start.
Then tweak specific clips as needed.

Additionally... when you're finished with a project, you can mix it all down to 2 tracks (in stereo) and drop the limiter again on them. Adjust the settings just to catch the peaks of the material and you won't overload the tape you're laying off to.

Good luck,

Ron
November 23, 2005 09:05PM
Here's another useful tool: Mark - Audio Peaks - Mark. This will go through your timeline and put a marker on wherever your audio reaches into the red. Unfortunately, I don't think it takes into account various tone levels and standards for volume (eg. DV vs. DigiBeta), but at least it will keep your volume from exploding. I think this function is most suited for DV.
November 24, 2005 09:09PM
Great stuff thanks guys
I will definitely have fun implementing all of this into my future projects
thank you very much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics