fix dingy picture on FCP?

Posted by Gabriel 
fix dingy picture on FCP?
November 24, 2005 07:35PM
i'm editing a re-edited copy of a law+order show
it was a direct output from one of their avids, and it's dingy-er than the show normally is. i think it got a bit messed up when it was converted to qt, or something. maybe their dvd burner is dumps.

anyways: what's the best way to increase brightness and contrast with FCP? a video filter? i know this can only fix so much, but...
Re: fix dingy picture on FCP?
November 24, 2005 08:35PM
No such thing as "the best way"...Color Corrector and Color Corrector 3-Way tend to do a better job than Brightness & Contrast. I'd dip the blacks a little and possibly the mids -- usually bad quality results in whitewash. If it's an offline Avid output that was burned to DVD, you've got two hits in quality even before it got to you, so I wouldn't expect great quality. You can sometimes give the illusion of sharpness by increasing contrast -- higher highlights and darker blacks. It's going to depend on what exactly the footage looks like.
November 24, 2005 10:18PM
Most likely the footage you are dealing with is probably in the offline codec, like 15:1 or 20:1.

It looks bad.
November 25, 2005 06:25AM
not sure about the received quality - but I found that a slight tweek in the gamma settings can work wonders if something is too muddy - but only a slight tweek - too much can blow out the picture and make it very grainy...good for fixing a poorly exposed shot once in a while - along with the proc amp settings - Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics