Sound Levels

Posted by Greg Kozikowski 
Greg Kozikowski
Sound Levels
November 24, 2005 09:44PM
I finished the web site and videos to illustrate the relationship between DV Sound, Broadcast VU, and Broadcast Peak.

Rip it to pieces.

[www.kozco.com]

Koz

Re: Sound Levels
November 25, 2005 07:51AM

Nice one. And a mood-enhancing choice of music as well.

If it's ok, I'll use the videos to illustrate this point to our students. We've used some plain paper hand-outs in the past, but I know they'll prefer blinking LEDs and swinging music over that any day.

thanks,

Geir.
Greg Kozikowski
November 25, 2005 01:08PM
<<<If it's ok, I'll use the videos to illustrate this point to our students.>>>

Yes, Go for it.

I don't remember seeing anywhere what a VU meter looks like when it's running correctly.

There are, of course two missing. I have an actual 1947 VU meter that was taken out of an NBC control room while I was there. It has markings for "Drama-Symphony," "Applause," and "Program-Talk Vocalist."

The other is a BBC-PPM. I know how to build one, but that might take a while.

Maybe I can sweet-talk somebody in the UK to videotape one for me like I did.

I got some other questions about that as well. The specification for an ANSI VU Meter are actually pretty simple and the IEC Norme Internationale document cost, I think something like $80 or so. The same document for the BBC-PPM costs hundreds and I just couldn't generate the cash or interest to buy it.

That and I have two respected public documents that contradict each other.

Welcome to the world of audio.

By the way, the left-brain engineer that lives here insists that both displays are vacuum-fluorescent, not LED.

See what I have to put up with?

Koz

November 28, 2005 07:00AM

<<By the way, the left-brain engineer that lives here insists that both displays are vacuum-fluorescent, not LED.

See what I have to put up with?>>

Well of course they are, what was I thinking smiling smiley Btw, whenever my left-brain gets the better of me, I usually watch a couple of minutes of Viva la Bam, Jackass or other MTV programs. That shuts down most higher brain functions immediatly, and allow me to function in normal society winking smiley

The treacherous world of audio metering is of some concern to me, as we have several different standards even in the relatively small production environment at our school. Given the relatively short amount of time we get to educate the students on technical matters, I'm afraid many leave after three years without a decent grasp of audio and video metering.

Your little video has given us a couple of ideas on how to present this subject in a more easily digested format to our students.

Thanks again,

Geir.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics