input VHS video into Final Cut?

Posted by Doug Cragoe 
input VHS video into Final Cut?
December 11, 2005 01:18PM
I'm considering buying my friend's old Mac G3 with Final Cut 1.2 on it. Operating system 9.2.2. I just want to do some basic editing, nothing fancy. The system has a couple hard drives, 120 gig on each one I think.
I want to input VHS and S-VHS video into the editing system. Is there a way I can do that directly without having to transfer it to DV or min-DV? What hardware would I need? Thanks. This will be my first experience on a NLE system.

Re: input VHS video into Final Cut?
December 11, 2005 01:29PM
Find a Canopus model ADVC100. Reason why this is good is that it's a two way unit. Can be used to capture non digital sources and also play back FCP material on an analog TV.

(here's an ebay link [cgi.ebay.com])
December 11, 2005 01:55PM
I like tha Canopus card for capturing VHS. But I'd rather buy a DV camera (from around $200); believe me, you'll soon want to do more than simply transfer your old VHS videos.

Alberto

====================================================================
"Prefiero pasar como ignorante cuando pregunto lo que ignoro, que pasar
como ignorante el resto de mi vida".
- A. Hauffen.
====================================================================
December 11, 2005 02:00PM
> I'm considering buying my friend's old Mac G3 with Final Cut 1.2 on it.
> Operating system 9.2.2

Doug, I don't know how much your friend is charging you, but if this is your first time with digital editing, this above system will be so outdated that you'll find it hard looking for tech support and to learn the application. A lot of the features we talk about in the forum are from FCP4 and FCP5. A number of people still remember the old shortcut keys, features etc. of OS9 and FCP1, but if your objective is to learn, you should get a more updated system. The money you pay for that G3/FCP1 combo, no matter how little, is money down the drain, and the current FCP interface is so different from FCP1 that whatever habits you acquire on FCP1 can be a real detriment to when you try to move to more current versions. I'd say just get a bare-bones FCP5 system so you can learn properly.

> Is there a way I can do that directly without having to transfer it to DV or
> mini-DV?

I don't know whether FCP1 had the "Non-Controllable Device" setting. That should allow you to plug an SVHS deck into a DV device and then capture via FireWire.
I thought of getting the Canopus ADVC100. But it says it requires OX 10 and higher and I would not have that with this old system. I also need to know if I can input video that does not have time code on FCP version 1.2.

You can try the old Matrox RT Mac. I have one that's been in storage since I upgraded to OS X. The RT Mac came out ready for OS 9 and then when OS X came out, they were unable to come up with drivers for 2 years. By the time they had drivers, FCP had been sufficiently updated as to make the RT mac useless. I haven't needed it since.

However, I'm not sure it'll work with FCP 1.2. Probably, but I'm not sure. You may want to check with Matrox but I'll warn you they are one of the worst when it comes to getting support or questions answered.

If your friend is a REAL friend he'll at least sell you FCP 3. That'll run on OS 9 and it's a helluva lot less buggy than 1.2. And FCP 3 works with the RT Mac for sure.

andy
December 11, 2005 03:54PM
yes, FCP had a "non-controlable device" setting in version 1.2

actually the interface hasn't changed much at all.
people generally complain about that when the new versions come out!

the interface hasn't changed, and the keyboard shortcuts haven't changed either.
i can think of a couple that are different... no i can think of one, off the top of my head. Deselect was Apple D, since v4 it's Shift Apple D.
in general, i;d say the only real change in the keyboard shortcuts is that there are more now than there were back then.

Media Manager has changed, for the better,
there are now better Colour Correction tools,
Log and capture looks a bit different
but on the whole, 1.2 was a basic version of what we have now
and learning v1.2 IS learning the basics of FCP.

the biggest mind warp for helpfull people at the various forums would be the OS9 thing.
(pedant alert: yes, i know, the plural of forum is fora!)

i think the RTMac was introduced with FCP2.
one of it;s biggest problems back then was converting VHS.
many complained that they couldnt get a stable image,
and Matrox told people they needed to get a Time-Base Corrector for it to work.
not great if you;re on a budget
so i wouldnt recommend that strongly for analogue conversion, although i think it was a GREAT box for its' RT FX

i'd second the Canopus.
The current model is the ADVC110.
this has the advantage of being able to be bus powered, so you dont need an extra wall wart.
the disadvantage is that it doesn't have an on/off switch.
if you ARE using a wall wart, you have to plug it into your computer LIVE, which is a dangerous thing to do.

... oh, just saw your OSX post above...
it's a bit vague, but the ADVC110 is advertised as:
"compatible with Windows and Mac OS computers"
which could include OS9.
i;d be surprised if either of them didnt work in OS9.
the important stuff is going on inside the box, and it just outputs a DV signal.

if you want other boxes look at:
data video DAC100
[www.datavideo.us]
or look for the discontinued DAC2, which grafixjoe here raves about.

there are other "domestic" level boxes which i dont really want to recommend,
(Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge is one)

and "pro" level boxes which may be out of your price range
miranda: [www.miranda.com]
convergent design: [www.convergent-design.com]
and laird: [www.lairdtelemedia.com]

or get a cheap camera as Hauffen suggests.
some have "pass though" so you wouldn't have to record to tape first.

have fun,
nick

Greg Kozikowski
December 11, 2005 05:08PM
I wonder about some of that information. I own an ADVC100 and I can tell you it doesn't need a time base corrector to capture VHS videotape. It will auto-correct quite a wide range of tape damage.

I have used it on both an OSX system and an underpowered Windows Premiere system and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I suspect the "OSX-Only" admonition is to peel off all the under-powered systems out there that are more than likely to fail and cause customer service headaches.

Any system that will handle a DV bitstream should work. Borrow your mom's camcorder and see if the system will capture the trip to the beach without dropped frames or sound synchronization problems. If it does, then you should be good to go.

Good to go until you run into your first movie where you need tools that just aren't available in that old a system. This will come about your second or third "movie." The upside is you will be in a much better position to know what you want next.

Koz

December 11, 2005 05:45PM
apologies for any confusion:

it was the RTMAC that (sometimes) needed a TBC

nick
December 11, 2005 09:51PM
The biggest bummer is that the AJA I/O (which we attempt to capture VHS with occationally - without much luck) is very finicky with unlocked or un timebase corrected video - I know we've tried - you drop a frame - even in uncontrollable device mode - you lose the entire capture - had better luck taking RCA plugs out of vhs feed through a firewire camera (DVX100a) - works perfectly - the camera in pass through mode tolerates a host of bad vhs tape)
Greg Kozikowski
December 11, 2005 11:35PM
The AJA IO was never intended to capture uncorrected video. All of its inputs are assumed to be broadcast stable.

That's the line between consumer, color-under, fuzzy, unstable video (VHS, 3/4, BetaMax) and the fully corrected broadcast technologies. It does you no good to capture 3/4 tape uncompressed. It's far too damaged to benefit from the trip.

You're far better off with a ADVC100 or equivalent for that. Even the people who capture with a CamCorder are causing additional damage. Most CamCorders--all that I've seen--do a capture with the wrong black levels making additional timeline correcton and rendering necessary.

Koz

December 12, 2005 07:08AM
I tried the DAC 100 box and could not get a signal for VHS on un controlable device setting. I also agree with Derek on going to the trouble of learning an old FCP aplication, FCP 3 at least then you are dealing with a truly great tool with some brilliant books to help you learn (better than a manual)
Greg Kozikowski
December 14, 2005 06:19PM

<<<could not get a signal for VHS on un controlable device setting.>>>

Are you trying to capture a Blockbuster Movie? Most of these boxes will not capture a protected tape.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics