Derek Mok Please Respond

Posted by apalm 
Derek Mok Please Respond
December 27, 2005 01:24PM

Hello Derek,

I am new to FCP.

I am trying to capture using easy setup for DV NTSC 48kHz Advance (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal. I do not experience the problem with DV NTSC FireWire Basic, DV NTSC. I read some earlier threads, on 11/16/2005 DerekMok wrote: I just posted a long thread on this a week ago and was told that a) Advanced Pulldown Removal during capture requires a capture card, and b) To use Cinema Tools instead to remove my pulldown frames.

Please tell me what capture card I need to get for my system.

Thanks so much.
A. Palmore

FCP Studio Version 5
Mac OS X Version 10.4.2
Processor Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
400 GB internal Harddrive as the scratchdisk
Footage recorded on a Panasonic DVX100A Mini DV
at 24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
Re: Derek Mok Please Respond
December 27, 2005 01:39PM
Go to this site and read it will give all the info you need.
BTW. Why would you shoot the audio at 32khz?

[www.kenstone.net]
December 28, 2005 12:26AM
Hi Frank,

I appreciate your responding to my post. I am still not sure what it going on because I followed the instructions based on the article you referred me to as well as the one Derek Mok refers to in his post on 11/16/2005. (http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_dvx_capture.html)

Both articles advise users to choose the Easy Setup "DV NTSC 48kHz Advance (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal" to capture DVX100a footage. Unfortunately, I get the following error message: "An error occurred while configuring QuickTime using the current capture preset. Please quit Final Cut Pro and check your hardware configuration."

My hardware configuration consists of the following:
DVX100A Camcorder
DV/Firewire cable (plugged into camera and computer)
Camera power on using AC Adapter
Camera is in VCR mode
Tape is inserted
When I command+8 I get the following message.

Please help.

FCP Studio 5.0.4
OS X 10.4.2
Dual 2 GHz G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB HD (Boot Disk)
400 GB internal HD Media Only
Panasonic DVX100A Mini DV
24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
December 28, 2005 12:32AM
I'm not positive but it could have something to do with the fact that your capture settings are for 48khz audio but in you post you said you have audio recorded at 32khz.
December 28, 2005 02:00AM
I'm fairly certain that although audio sample rates can muck with your captured clips, they won't prevent a capture from being done.

The following is what Chi-Ho Lee advised me when I posted a question about DVCPro HD/DVCam downconverted workflow:

"You can't capture 23.98 directly from tape via FW cuz that isn't
available - you have to use a capture card to do this in real time.

Your only option is to capture in 29.97 and then reverse telecine
via cinema tools. After you reverse tele, import the new 23.98 clip
into your 23.98 sequence."

The Larry Jordan thread you're referring to does refer to "flagging the 2:3:3:2 frames in the FireWire stream", which is not the same as what is written above. The difference between the two could be what's causing you problems.

Do you have Cinema Tools? Reverse telecine is not that time-consuming a process, though it does chew up mucho disk space because you end up with two sets of captured clips, one at 29.97fps and one at 23.98fps.

Also, the problem with using Easy Setup is that those default setups may not necessarily fit your hardware. You're using the DVX-100a to capture, right? Have you checked that the Device Control is set correctly?
December 28, 2005 09:05AM
Frank,

Good to hear from you again. Thank you for your support.

The 32kHz is a sore point for me. Don't know why the DP recorded at that setting when clearly 48kHz could have and SHOULD have been set. I am recording 10 minute chunks using Capture Now to avoid audio going out of sync.

Derek,

Prior to my post yesterday, I was so anxious to get some sequences edited I went ahead and captured at 29.97 without pulldown removal. I just figured I would have to recapture later when I get this all figured out.

I created two sequences using the same clips in the same order. One sequence is at 29.97 and the other is at 23.98. the 23.98 sequence displays a problem message when playing several of the clips indicating that a frame has dropped.

I am at work now, (10am EST) when I get home later this evening I will do as you advised. I will check the Device Control setting and also see if I can do the Reverse Telecine on the footage I have captured.

I only captured less than 20% of the master tapes to start with.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will post an update after 7 or 8pm EST.

A. Palmore
December 28, 2005 08:32PM
Derek,

It looks like I do have Cinema Tools. I have to figure out how to use it. As a quick try I selected a master clip in the browser, then ->Tools ->Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine got the following message: "WARNING: One or more media files in your selection cannot be processed" after that with the same master clip I selected ->Tools -> Remove Advance Pulldown I got the following message: "My File Name-a - File does not contain DVCPRO or DVCPRO-50 NTSC video"

But good news!!! I did check the Device Control settings and it is set to FireWire NTSC. and the Capture Preset Editor recognizes the camera in the input field for QuickTime Video Settings. It is allowing me to capture now.

As I capture the current tape the capture reads as follows:
"Capturing Clip - NOW CAPTURING (press 'esc' to stop)
Removing Advance Pulldown From Source Media."

Confusing though - when I esc capture to get to the next take, the settings do not register as Advance Pulldown. and the capture reads:
"Capturing Clip - NOW CAPTURING (press 'esc' to stop)"

All of this without changing anything. I have to keep checking the easy setup, and capture presets by reselecting what is already there. sometimes 5-6 times until it captures with Pulldown Removal. I think the system is just buggy.

What is your take on this?

FCP Studio 5.0.4
OS X 10.4.2
Dual 2 GHz G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB HD (Boot Disk)
400 GB internal HD Media Only
Panasonic DVX100A Mini DV
24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics