ongoing FCP capture problems

Posted by christoph 
ongoing FCP capture problems
January 04, 2006 12:47PM
Hello again,

I posted a week ago and Derekmok was very kind to help answer some of my questions. I'm still trying to batch capture a mini-DV from my Sony handycam w/ base-station.

Unfortunately my FCP keeps saying that my DV Video Device is missing....

My iMovie can capture video from the camera and the base station so those work. There must be some setting in FCP that needs fixing.

How do I set all my capture settings to default?

Here's my info:
Computer: Mac Powerbook
Operating System: OS X (tiger)
FCP: Version 4.5

DV Device: Sony Handheld mini-DV
DV Basestation: 4 to 6 pin i-link conversion to Mac

The Sony Handycam model is DCR-PC350.

In the 'batch capture' box the warning reads like this:
WARNING: Video Device DV Video is missing
DCR-TRV900 using NTSC.

Thanks again for your help,

Christoph
Re: ongoing FCP capture problems
January 04, 2006 01:25PM
If I am not mistaken, and I do not know that camera; if it is a Sony DV Handycam, then the camera does not have an iLink connection.

If that assumption is correct, then you might be using this BaseStation??? to convert analog to digital over Firewire.

If that is the case - you can not batch capture from that camera. You would need to set the capture settings to NonControllable device, then have FCP do Capture Now and start up playing the HandyCam.

Are you implying that iMovie is controlling the tape movement with this camera?
January 04, 2006 07:16PM
If you recently upgraded to Tiger or Quicktime 7, you might want to look at this too.

[docs.info.apple.com]
January 05, 2006 03:29AM
Thank you very much.

I'll look into your suggestions.

I can control the camera from iMovie, just like FCP. You're correct that the camera itself does not have an iLink capacity, hence my reliance on the BaseStation.

I'll try capturing from another reel to see if my software is working correctly.

The saga will continue...

-cg
January 05, 2006 09:59AM
That is very interesting! I didn't know that iMovie could control an analog camera over an A/D converter. I will have to look into this BaseStation unit.

IN any case, that is not the case with Final Cut Pro. It needs to be a Firewire connected camera to control.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics